Help with CCTV

I could use help with understand my CCTV system.

formatting link

The manual it came with is very poor.

I hooked up a computer microphone to it, but there is no sound when I playback the video.

Mic is connected to audio in and there is a cable going from the DVR to the audio in of my tv.

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Reply to
andrewkennedy775
Loading thread data ...

Manual is very poor? Parts of it don't work correctly? Can't imagine why...

Reply to
mleuck

mleuck,

You are another troll.

Appreciate all the outstanding help from everyone else.

NOT !!

Reply to
Andy K

You paid $159 for a 1TB 8 channel DVR and 4 cameras, did you seriously expect quality?

Reply to
mleuck

So let's think about this you went online and payed $159 to a fly by nighte rs online that dosent even have the overheads of a shop or training to say the least for some thing that's marketed as a cctv system and now you want to bludge on on the knowledge of guys that spend many years in a industry w ith hundred of hours towards training and knowledge with a very large cost involved for you to not even support the industry I feel you are the sort that would buy everything online and then bitch whe n the corner electronics shop closes. Go back to your supplier I'm sure he would be well interested in supportin g his quality product

Reply to
morgsphone

My guess is you are using the wrong type of microphone, but you may get the answer at

formatting link

Reply to
doug

Thanks Doug.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

UN - F&%#ing - believable.

Reply to
Jim Davis

The product is certainly not one that a professional installer worth his salt would consider installing so he is unlikely to get any helpful answers from a group that caters mostly to professional installers.

He doesn't know the make up of this group, he's just looking for an answer

Pointing him in the direction of the manufacturer is his probably his best hope of getting an answer to his question.

Or we can just ridicule him for buying what we might consider cheap junk and beneath us.

Doug

Reply to
doug

You should not have bought any of this, but you did not know what you were getting into... it was price driven.

When you are viewing the cam on screen that the mic is recording to, find a n icon that actually turns on the sound recording. Also, it may be in your setup screens somewhere, so that you can enable the recording to actually h appen. Plugging in a mic and hoping that it works, it not how this is going to happen. Just keep going thru every last setup screen in the entire soft ware package bundled in your dvr, and eventually you will find it.

But then again, it still may not work. After you spend all this time findin g it, you may realize that it wasn't worth the deal that you thought you go t after all.

You actually paid $159.95 for your package which is about $100.00 too much for this kind of quality that can be bought directly from China for $59.95 total... you were Ebayed!

Reply to
E D

But ridicule is much more fun :)

Reply to
mleuck

I know, but I'm mellowing with age

Doug

Reply to
doug

e getting into... it was price driven.

an icon that actually turns on the sound recording. Also, it may be in you r setup screens somewhere, so that you can enable the recording to actually happen. Plugging in a mic and hoping that it works, it not how this is goi ng to happen. Just keep going thru every last setup screen in the entire so ftware package bundled in your dvr, and eventually you will find it.

ing it, you may realize that it wasn't worth the deal that you thought you got after all.

h for this kind of quality that can be bought directly from China for $59.9

5 total... you were Ebayed!

Yeah .... Whoooweee! that's gotta really smart too.

I bet he won't be able to sit down for at least a week.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Yeah .... Whoooweee! that's gotta really smart too.

I bet he won't be able to sit down for at least a week.

You know I used to buy various "cheap" cameras, and "cheap" systems to test in my shop because customers would always ask me about them and I figured actually owning them was cheap education. Sometimes you get a surprise and its really the next step up in features and step down in price point. I remember when starlight cost almost $10K (back when I worked for Kurt) for a camera body with no lens and no housing. Now you can get fair starlight (short range) for under 3... hundred at decent resolution. It even has internal computer controlled brightness blocking for headlights and other sudden bright sources.

Sometimes you get other surprises too. I found a really cool PT (no Z) 720p IP camera once for under $100. Plug and Play. Almost. When you installed the browser plug-in to view it on your computer it also loaded malware. Oops. I actually used it for a while in a sandboxed environment. Then I found a work around. I used a third party viewing software on my Android devices, and the malware was not installed. No access to the recorded video on the sd card, but atleast it was useable. I used it for about 5 years before I got tired of having to reboot it more and more often to keep it on the network.

12-13 years ago when MACE first hit the market I had a jeweler client come back from a jewelry trade show all excited about them for the price. So I bought a system. Back then it was strictly simplex. Yeah it was a 16 camera DVR that came with 16 cameras, but if you were viewing only one that was all that was recording. If you were viewing recorded material you were not recording at all. I still have the DVR. In fact I have one of my other DVRs looped out to it for backup. Amazingly the hard drive has not failed. I do check it about once a month. The cameras I actually used too. They were cheap cameras, but in all those years only one of them has failed. I don't use them for anything resolution sensitive like actual security, but I use them every day. I have three of them mounted on CNC milling machines in the machine room. That way I can see when a machine stops and is ready to change stock for the next job or to change a tool. I have a couple more on open areas of the shop floor just to see if anybody has gotten by the door cameras without me noticing. They do that. They even illuminate marginally well at night with all the lights off. Well enough to see a person moving around, and then I can switch to one of the better cameras and rewind to recognize who if I need to. It was never a great system, but it was pretty good, "for the price." I still sold my client something better.

Even if you don't sell the "cheap" stuff you should know about it. I quite often had a customer ask me about some "system" or another and I would say either of two things.

1. (Usually for box store systems.) I have heard some people say that it worked ok for them. If you really think it will work ok for you buy it from somebody with a good return policy, set it up, test it, and if you are happy install it. If you are not happy with it package it up nicely and take it back.

1. (Often for inexpensive systems with a great price on-line or through alternative trade channels (like a jeweler's association)) I have one in my office. Come on over and I will be glad to show the differences and you can decide if you you want that or the system I think is a better value for your money.

One comment about those old MACE cameras. They have an audio pickup built in, but the cables are non standard colors. On most other things yellow is video and other colors are audio or other connections. On those MACE beer can cameras yellow is audio and white is video. I never sold any.

When I was cleaning out my shop last year I threw away a lot of video equipment.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

e getting into... it was price driven.

an icon that actually turns on the sound recording. Also, it may be in you r setup screens somewhere, so that you can enable the recording to actually happen. Plugging in a mic and hoping that it works, it not how this is goi ng to happen. Just keep going thru every last setup screen in the entire so ftware package bundled in your dvr, and eventually you will find it.

ing it, you may realize that it wasn't worth the deal that you thought you got after all.

h for this kind of quality that can be bought directly from China for $59.9

5 total... you were Ebayed!

That's not what I payed.

It was $85.

And I am happy with the quality.

As for Ebay, they are a great company.

Their prices often beat out Amazon.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.