Monitoring Rates

The Vista-20P can handle 48 zones without zone doubling. This job is nowhere near the panel's limit, Crash. If the gentleman wants Internet and GSM, it's one of the few systems that meet his requirements.

To do it that way he'll need a temperature sensor with remote probe that requires no power. I used one from Grainger to activate the exhaust fan in our generator room. I don't recall the make/model but it was less than $100 and it worked well for over 16 years. The unit had a flexible, copper tube with the probe on the end.

The problem with the unit, as you noted, is it requires power. The gentleman indicated he wants to go wireless. It can be had with a M-001-0081 high temperature probe (32 to 299 F). Most of the Winland's mechanical temperature sensors have been discontinued. The one mechanical unit that handles high temperatures is the MTA-1. It's limited to 100C (212F) though.

We get a lot of orders for the 2- and 4-zone programmable models, mainly from food storage facilities and the like.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

No

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The only current panel from that group is the 20P v5

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yeppers. I just prefer a different panel once I go beyond the 20P basic.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ah but it is a solid panel. I fact I've never really had any problems with Ademco stuff...it just doesn't wow me.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

none that i've experienced.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

only a few of us dinosaurs around that still pull spare pairs eh? I gotta laugh at these fools that pull cheap shit 2 conductor to openings in a block flat-top, built on slab of course.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

One of those old Ademco bi-metal 200=EF=BF=BD heat detectors might do the jo= b.

Reply to
Jim

I try to pull spares to everything. But even if you dont, a motion with a tamper needs 6 unless you common up the tamper, which I consider a last resort. 6 to a keypad is a no-brainer. 22/12 is real handy in residential when you're trying to conceal a lot of circuits , or going from one end of the house to the other, or pulling some protective loops out to a garage. I sent a request for a quote to Contractors wire and cable, we'll see. Probably have to take out a second on the house. js

Reply to
alarman

I've been using Cat 3 telephone 6 pair 24ga for keypads for about 20 years now. (Napco has expansion zones available from each keypad, which I bring back to the panel.) Cheaper in the long run and never had a proplem.

Reply to
Jim

Understood, but that doesn't mean the Vista-20P won't do the OP's job. In fact, it's a good match given his requirements. I personally prefer Napco Security over Honeywell, mainly because I have more experience installing and programming them. Both systems can do this job.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

We did that all the time. Once it even *caused* a problem. A lady (and I use the term loosely in this case) insisted my technicians had not finished the job although every sensor was installed and working properly. I said I was sure it was compete so she had me look inside the panel. There were two extra cables labeled "Spare A - Attic" and "Spare B - Garage". She demanded to know why they were not connected to anything. I explained that the installers pulled extra cables in case we might need to add something later. She didn't believe that anyone would actually do *extra* work and not charge, even after I explained that the idea was to save trouble for us in the future.

If I'd known what a PITA she was goiung to be I'd have referred her to Jiminex. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

yah...5 cond is reallll popular :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That's not available either, at least not readily. Seems like anything but

22/4 and cat 5 is special order.
Reply to
alarman

On Feb 27, 8:31=EF=BF=BDam, "Robert L Bass" wrote:=

=BDA lady (and I use

Seems to me that you always brag about bringing a four wire to every opening and a home run from every opening. So in your little imaginary story above ..... how come she would only be looking at the 2 "extra wires"?

"Go ahead burglar, make my day" HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

At least she would have someone who isn't a phony and a liar.

How's the cancer? Can you hear it chomping away inside? Don't worrry. Eventually it'll eat through all that fat. One thing you'll never have to worry about though, cancer of the brain.

Well, toodles to ya Death Breath ..... see ya .... well ...... I guess not.

Reply to
Jim

Yes it is special order but I just order it a couple times a year and stock it. It's compact ( ie. smaller than 22ga) thousand foot boxes. The difference in resistance is insignificant for normal residential and light commercial use as keypad runs and to ease wire wrangling multiple four conductor wires, on long runs. I've used it for years for anything under or around 100 feet runs without ever having one problem resistance wise. The only reason 24 gauge isn't recommended is because it's easy to not strip it properly with miller strippers and nick the wire. But other than that and contrary to the common myth, the resistance of 24 guage wire for normal burglar alarm use is quite acceptable even for power to PIR's and such. If you've got concerns about it, just figure the wire resistance versus voltage drop over less than 100 foot runs, and you'll see what I mean.

Just ordered some so I've got the number at hand. Superior Essex 18-341-33

6X24 UTP Cat3 CMR GY 1KFT PB
Reply to
Jim

I've used cat 3 3 pair in the past for alarms, and I know it works OK. I just like the multi cable. Still haven't heard back from Contractors wire and cable. Why do these outfits go to the trouble to advertise if they aren't going to follow up the responses? It baffles me.

Reply to
alarman

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank all those who responded - even if sometimes off-topic :^). Some great ideas to follow-up on.

Reply to
bit eimer

Actually, this "installation fairy tale" serves to showcase your poor salesmanship. I would think that "pulling extra pairs" would have been something you would have "used" to demonstrate how much more "professional" you were over "the other guys". I'll bet it was the "Armani suit" that threw her off, though... that and the Ford Pinto you drove up with. Tsk!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

try the windy city guys

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.