Looking for a Dong Ding

Hey guys,

I am searching for a audible door chime that operates on 12vdc. What I would like is something like the wireless door bell setups with out the wireless.

I know I can get piezo beepers in a variety of frequency's and db ratings but I find them less than appealing. I am thinking more of a 3" speaker in a box with a two tone chip driver that when 12vdc is applied for a couple of seconds it makes an audible output like a ding dong, bong boop, twiddle dee dum.

I had a conversation today with "Mr. Chime". The man himself!! I asked him if there was as way to make one of his units respond to a contact closer. Sadly he said no, since it is all integral within the the receiver board. DRAT!!!

I know that I could get a ELK120 and record the sound on a chip. But, that is just a bit overkill for what I want to do, not to mention the cost. Although it may be the only way.

My hope is that one of you guys just throws out the part number and I off and running.

So, any thoughts on the topic??

At the very least there might be some additional activity it the good ol' ASA.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Hey Les, I'm thinking that if you got a regular doorbell that operates on 1

6/24 volts AC, that if you adjust the electrical coil contacts and the reco il spring on the doorbell it will probably work with 12 VDC. Might not be a s loud as with 16VAC but it's just a coil and a set of contacts.

Also, if you scraped some of the insulation off of the relay coils and sold ered/shorted out some of the windings it would work better at 12VDC. And, how about using 24VDC? If your just closing a set of contracts to operate t he bell, use an Altronix 12/24 VDC power supply set at 24 volts.

If you're using the 12VDC from an alarm panel it's gonna use a lot of curre nt.

Reply to
Jim

I found this

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

Don't know about the twiddle dee dum part, but I used one of these

0E-1GANGCHIM from ADI and it worked OK for the ding dong part.

Doug

Reply to
doug

Thanks Jim, That would be what I am looking for. All my searches did not turn up that item. FWIW your link to amazon locked up my browser every time. Had to back search and then found on ebay. The interesting thing is that the ebay'er ships from Amazon.....................

As for the modification of a 18vac door bell, I was thinking about that as well. But if I was going to go that route it would be better to just install a relay and trigger the ac voltage to the coil. Then I don't have to deal with almost getting the right voltage at the right amps stuff.

However, the one that Doug suggested from ADI may do the trick and I don't have to deal with a ebay or amazon shipping issue. But I do have to deal with ADI pricing and shipping cost. I was looking at that as well before posting but did not see on the doc's that it produced a ding dong sound. It says: "SINGLE, DUAL AND FADING TONES". But now that Doug has confirmed Ding Dong then I am all over it.

Thanks for the assist guys, very helpful.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Radio Shack has a small ding dong (or they did). It was cheap too. I believe that ATW did as well.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This might be the RS one

formatting link

Here is the ATW one

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks Bob,

I was at the RatShack the other day and tested all the sounders they had, including the one you noted. None actually gave a ding dong. Mostly just a single tone or a beep beep sound.

Interesting the ATW link shows one (pcp-300) which looks a lot like the one I have on the way from ADI. which is this one>>>

formatting link

Hopefully it will Ding Dong properly as was suggested by Doug. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the extra input.

Hope all is well in your parts.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

W-Box is ADI's contracted Chinese knock off line. I noticed they discontinued lots of stuff (like ATW Mascom) and came out with similar products on the W-Box label. If you visit the W-Box website you will find the only place to buy the stuff is at ADI. ATW never used to have retail pricing on their website until ADI dumped them and started selling their own line of Chicom knockoffs instead.

I did have a Rat Shack chime that went ding dong. It was three wires if I recall. (pos) (neg) (trigger) It was cheap. They may not have it anymore. I used to buy them regularly for specialty stuff. They made nice alerts that didn't seem to annoy the customers as much as a buzzer. I went to the ATW one because it looks nicer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My Ding Dong arrived!!!

Perfect, does the job.

Doug nailed it.

Thanks for all input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

May you and your ding dong live happily ever after.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.