Need wireless network camera, easy to use and small

Need some advice from some folks who know way more than me.

I need a camera to monitor a high crime area on our business property (A large K - 12 school)

Crime happens after hhours.

I would like a small camera (not necessarily a "hidden" camera, but one not too noticeable) that can connect to my network/the internet via 802.11-G, with maybe the option to hook it in via 10/100 cat5 cable.

Id like an option like emailing motion pics it naps to a few email addresses (without having to pay for a service)

I am not into this kind of thing (security cameras, etc) so I would hope to get one that is easy to use.

Any suggestions are helpful. i was a bit vauge so if I need to explain something further, please let me know. Thanks in advance! Jazz Mann

Reply to
Jazz
Loading thread data ...

These guys are heavy duty into networked video in school settings.

formatting link
If you are on a tight budget you can look at the same gear they use.
formatting link
It is pretty simple stuff. (Meaning no analytics or anything.) But it should work okay for a network deployment in a school environment.

However, I think the idea of a single camera in a high crime area is ridiculous. If you aren't going to put in an adequate number of cameras then I would forget the whole thing. You're not going to get the results you want with a single anything.

Reply to
Roland

settings.http://www.lensec.com/>

use.http://www.axis.com/>

Thanks for the links and the advice... this "High Crime area" is really a 20 x 10 room. There is a locked door in that room that leads to a small book room that the crooks (cleaning crew I am sure) know holds the petty cash (around 3 or 400 cash).

They have left windows unlocked after everyone leaves and literally tried to chisel with wood away from teh lock of this door, unsuccessfully.

On camera wil work, I plan to have a larger dummy camera in there too, to distract from teh real, smaller camera.

Reply to
Jazz

Reply to
Roland

But upon more research, panasonic may meet my financial and security needs at a happy place. I read that with axis, you need to pay big bucks for software to m onitor it via the web and to get it to send you email shots... whereas panasonic provides all that...

i d> Panasonic is okay. They suffer from being a consumer electronics company at

Reply to
Jazz

If you are using one camera the Axis Station One software is free to download I believe.

formatting link

Never-the-less consider me a complete fool and pay no attention to anything I say. However if you'd like to read about it instead you may want to consider what others in the industry say with their money and time. Compare the number of different companies (not small mom and pop companies, but HUGE ones) that have hitched their wagon to Axis. Here is the page (below). Go take a look see.

formatting link
Now take a peek at the Panasonic site. I don't believe you'll see anything like that there. Perhaps that's something to consider. It is easy to assume that a company with a good consumer brand name would beat all competitors, especially ones you've never heard of. You may wish to rethink all of this.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Done.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.