Legality of video survaillence

As we are installing a Goevision DVR system we have the union people in an uproar. They claim that cameras in my building are an invasion of their privacy. I don't plan any cameras in bathrooms or lunchrooms. How can I find out the laws in Ohio without hiring a lawyer?

Reply to
Tom Gardner
Loading thread data ...

Do you belong to an employers' association?

Reply to
Steve Foley

They can't expect a right to privacy in a building, that is posted, that there is video survaillence. There is no audio involved I would take it, so that is a moot point. As long as the cameras are not in bathrooms and breakrooms (which I don't believe is restricted), dressing rooms and other areas where one would expect privacy, you shouldn't have a problem. Audio is the sticky point. That could get everyone in trouble if certain quidelines are not followed. It goes along the same lines as wiretaping. The complaintants would have a tough argument if everything is posted and installed as it should be. An employer has every right to monitor his property, the visitors to the property, production areas, internal and external thief, insurance issues and the fact that it will create a safer workplace. Right off the bat, the complaintants raise of flag of possible internal thief. Check with the Ohio Alarm Association. I am sure you will find what you are looking for without an attorney.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Thanks, I called them and they were a wealth of info!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I get this problem from unions all the time. Unless they agree to it in there negotiations they feel it is a contract violation. if the cameras are being used for safety and not criminal prosecuiton for thefts etc . is how I have gotten around the issue.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Everything pisses union members off.

Union members live to say "that's not my job" and to beef about unfair contracts. Transit workers in NY went on strike a few months ago with some members claiming $25.00 per hour wasn't enough to sweep the subway platform. 25 dollars an hour??????? Melonheads at Mc Donalds get 6 or 7 an hour to scrub toilets. I'm tired of seeing goofballs hugging shovels and calling it road repair. Ever see the utility company trucks parked next to an open sewer where

2 clowns are in the truck reading the paper? Reagan had the right idea when he dumped the air traffic controllers. Too bad today's politicians have no spine.

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Well, the union signed-off the next day after I started considering going to monthly paychecks, mandatory overtime, swing shifts, daily exercise, daily random drug and booze tests...etc. It appears I still have a little say about how I run my business.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

ROFL!!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

You might want to mention this to your attorney. If you sign an agreement saying that the video cameras are for safety and not for prosecution you might not be able to use a future recording in a criminal or civil proceeding against a dishonest employee.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sure ya do. Close it down, then start a new one, and hire only non-union people. That'll learn'em a thing or two about they union-mantra "job security".

Reply to
Matt Ion

They don't like it...it's called "union busting". It's really not so bad, the trick is "Red Herrings", We start something to get the union revved-up every couple of years then capitulate and they win a big victory and it gives them face. But, my video system HAD to go through, we had 20 break-ins last year.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.