legality of selling/sharing cable access with a neighbor

I live in a fairly new addition to an apartment building. My neighbor live in the older part that has never had cable run into it. He want me to share my cable Internet access with him using my wireless b/g router (he got a laptop for Christmas with a built-in wifi transceiver).

My questions:

Is having him pay me for this legal? If it isn't legal, is it a crime punishable by jail or is it a civil thing?

Second, if I just share my access with him at no charge, does that make any difference as far as legality goes?

Thank you.

Reply to
Trevor Smithson
Loading thread data ...

Selling is a big no-no with your internet provider. If they found out they would cut you off - and maybe pursue some sort of civil action.

Sharing for free is a no-no with your internet provider as well. If they found out they would cut you off - and maybe pursue some sort of civil action.

On the other hand - If your neighbor somehow managed to access and use your wireless internet connection - without your knowledge - well then - not your fault. And if your neighbor wants to buy you dinner once a month because he likes you - well that's pretty innocent.

Reply to
riggor99999

Reply to
BigJim

| I live in a fairly new addition to an apartment building. My neighbor | live in the older part that has never had cable run into it. He want | me to share my cable Internet access with him using my wireless b/g | router (he got a laptop for Christmas with a built-in wifi | transceiver). | | My questions: | | Is having him pay me for this legal? If it isn't legal, is it a crime | punishable by jail or is it a civil thing? | | Second, if I just share my access with him at no charge, does that make | any difference as far as legality goes? | | Thank you.

NNTP-Posting-Host: 70.178.175.2

formatting link

1. Prohibited Activities.

Resell or redistribute the Service to any third party via any means including but not limited to wireless technology.

1. Commercial Use.

The Service is designed for personal use of the Internet and may not be used for commercial purposes. You may not resell or otherwise charge others to use the residential Service. You agree not to use the Service for operation as an Internet service provider, or for any other business enterprise, including, without limitation, IP address translation or similar facilities intended to provide additional access.

1. Misuse of Service. You are responsible for any misuse of the Service that occurs through your account. You must therefore take steps to ensure that others do not gain unauthorized access or misuse the Service.
Reply to
David H. Lipman

Have him call COX and I would guess their installer can find where to hook him up. I would be supried that noone in that side of the building has cable tv because of no cable runs.

Why should it matter. Your next job application will most likely ask if you have been arrested or sued, if so give details.

You realy need to goto cox.net's web page and find the Terms Of Service (TOS) and the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

I would guess cox.net could augue theft of service atainst your neighbor and include you as accomplice if they feel like it.

At worst you get black listed and can no longer have cable access.

Would COX.NET push it? Seems ISP kind of hate TOS/AUP abusers and they watch all sorts of things.

formatting link

Reply to
Bit Twister

How about this. Your cluless neighbor get cracked through the WIFI or picks up some trojans and whatnot.

His box is used to send spam, you get the fine for $1,000 each msg), or is used as a kiddie pron hub, that is some good jail time, or is used to launder credit cards or rob credit card accounts.

You will get to meet a whole nother class of people that just may love to make you their bosom buddy. :(

Reply to
Bit Twister

Your contract with your ISP has the answers to this. No one else can answer the questions specifically.

I bet your ISP contract specifically states that your selling your broadband would put you in violation of the contract. There's no question in my mind.

As for any penalties, again you need to see your contract with your ISP.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.