Laminated (safety) Glass for windows-- two questions

I live in a neighborhood that is not that safe. I currently have bars on all of my first floor windows and feel safe with them. However, I am getting my windows replaced and would rather not have the bars for athsteic reasons.

I am thinking about getting a security system and laminated glass in the windows. I have two questions for the group about laminated glass.

1) Does it really help with security? 2) Will it make the room darker than normal glass?

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew
Loading thread data ...

Laminated glass, used to meet missle impact loads in high wind areas, should be safer in that way. You will need to consider locks. Laminated glass will pass less visible light, but not enough to matter, in my opinion. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Laminated glass is an excellent choice to bars as it will slow down an intrsion attempt but also allow fire fighters t rescue you god forbid theres a fire many people have died in homes were the windows were barred and fire dept could not make rapid entry.. It will not make the room darker using laminated glasmost laminates can be applied clearly.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

I had a plastic film applied by a security firm. It does not change the window appearance but makes intrusion very difficult.

The only problem I found was that because there was no apparent security several windows got broken.

If it is a bad area I would stick with the bars. There are security screens that are fairly decorative.

Reply to
marks542004

Some years ago, I looked into this option of security film. It's a good one for the correct commercial application, when you have lots of area to cover and don't want the store to look like a jail !! However, the downside is, it's quite expensive, and is only as secure as it's attachment to the frame holding the glass. The other thing is, if it's not immediately obvious to the thief that it is present, they may try to break the glass, and even if they don't get in, the owner will then have to replace BOTH the glass and the expensive security film for the new window...

Bars were for many years my speciality, and I still do lots of bar work. However, you have to be very careful where you put them. Basement windows are an obvious spot, but NOT a good idea if that window is in an area where someone could be sleeping in a basement bedroom. At the very least, all bars should be inside mounted and should be openable by a common key, and that key should be visibly posted near the window but out of reach of it. I used to make up a visible decal, with the key pinned to the middle of the decal. But bottom line, that key can still get lost or misplaced !!

Some of the companies making bars now do some very nice, decorative work !!

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Classic line Mr. Campbell:

"Bars were for many years my specialty, and I still do lots of bar work".

Hic.... :^)

Coors Lite Please....

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Coors lite, what are going to with that, wash the car?

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

HAHAHAHA....beautiful !! Never thought about how that would come across.....

I'm afraid at 62, my "bar hopping" days are long gone....don't have the physical reserves for that anymore.

Coors Lite ?? ...now that may get you in trouble !! I drink Canadian beer...REAL beer...not some spring water fed beaver p*ss.....

RHC

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

What kind of missiles?? Are we talking Standard HARM, Sidewinders, Durandals, or your run-of-the-mill rocket propelled grenade??? That must be some glass!!! ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

The only REAL beer comes from Belgium. The "Stella Artois" gift pack should have come with a set of wireless headphones instead of the fancy glasses. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Great Canadian Beer....Labatts, Dow, Molson's...real beer in quarts no less......I used to walk between Labatt's brewery and Seagrams Distillery in Ville LaSalle (outside of Montreal) everyday on my way to school.

Now my days of drinking are slowing down too (58). I'm just hangin on as long as I can with Coors Lite.

I miss the old bar rooms we used to frequent years ago.... after our high school classes.....

Norm Mugford

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

New homes in Florida have to meet strict "hurricane proof" requirements. Builders of high end homes are staring to use a new type of glass that can withstand the impact of (something like) an 8 foot long piece of 2x4 shot from an air cannon. I forget the exact speed but it'd kill a moose if it hit it. The glass doesn't even break.

I had someone demo replacement windows for my previous home last year. The sales drone suggested I try to break it. He held it against the wall and suggested I try punching it. Instead I gave it a decent snap kick. It didn't even scratch the glass. Next he placed sample on the floor so that the glass was supported about 2" up. I weigh 210 and I couldn't break the window by jumping up and down on it.

The down side was the cost. They wanted nearly $1K per installed window. We ended up moving to a larger home instead of upgrading. Now I'll have to replace twice as many windows plus over 100 feet of sliding glass walls that surround the new lanai. :^)

You might be able to buy just the glass and install it in your existing door. That shouldn't cost too much.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Uh-huh... And what's the excuse for not changing your "contact information"?? I'll bet Margaret Combs is "thrilled" about have to call or email you to pick up your mail... You *do* answer calls these days, don't you?? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.