electrifing windows for security

My house has been broken into a number of times. (Not in the US) I want to electrify a window to deter thieves. Anyone know of any suppliers of equipment for this type of application? I have burglar bars and gates on all windows and doors but have one that I refuse to mess with because of the view (great sunsets in the Caribbean). How do I go about this and are there readily available transformers, etc. that I can use?

Reply to
gevetri
Loading thread data ...

Welp, there was a case a few years ago where a saloon owner kept getting broken into over and over again. It was putting him out of business. He decided to do something about it and electrified the window sills and also added a boobytrapped shotgun for good measure. His contraptions killed the burglar and the saloon owner went to jail for manslaughter.

I doubt anyone is gonna aid you in electrocuting a burglar...at least they shouldn't.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I need technical help, not personal views. If you cannot help and you are not familiar with my problems in a setting (not the US) where police are useless and alarms are useless, please do not clutter this posting. Thanks

Reply to
gevetri

Sod off dood.

I doubt that anyone will assist you in committing a crime no matter what ignorant part of the world you live in.

Put up razor wire, better locks, shutter the windows...or move.

You kill someone and you'll be a helluva lot easier for the police to find than the burglar who got away with your piece of shit TV. Or do you live in some third rate country where killing someone over a banana is acceptable.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't want to kill the bastard, just tingle him for a while. Enough to deter and have the person remember the experience for a long time.

Reply to
gevetri

Google for "fence charger".

Reply to
A.J.

then google "wire cutters"?

would be funny to see someone try the first time though

Reply to
shady

Try a electric cattle fence unit...at least it won't kill him.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I dunno... A long time ago when my dad was building his house he hired a couple of painters to do up the interior. He hadn't completed the plumbing yet, so if you wanted to take a leak you had to go across the road into the bushes. The guy that owned that piece of property had cows and one of those elecric fences. One of the painters, in a purely dumb moment, took a whiz right next to the fence. Apparently his "stream" arced onto one of the wires. My dad told me later that he'd never heard a guy scream like that before.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Replace the glass with some that has that thin wire mesh in it. The kind that's used in some fire separation doors. If you can somehow manage to hook one of those electric fence controllers to the grid, anyone breaking the glass will get a real "charge" out of it. The wire's so fine I doubt it'll interfere with your enjoyment of the view. To be sure, buy yourself a small sample about two feet square and take it down the next time you visit. Hold it up in front of the window and see what it's like.

Reply to
Frank Olson

A good fence charger should do the job. Some models have alarms to deter crooks with wire cutters. If you are paranoid about liability (and I would be), I would post warning signs, install motion detector lights, etc.

Also, consider a battery backup in case your power fails. I'm told that some neighborhoods in South Africa have houses with electric fences that make their buildings look like prisons because of potential violence in the streets.

Electrical barrier-type deterents work. The famous Morice Line set up in the desert by the French was charge with 5000 volts and kept the insurgents contained during the Algerian War during the late 50's early 60's. The voltage was set to kill and many wild dogs got caught in the fence and were electrocuted. The insurgents tried everything to defeat it including using ladders and special insulated wire cutters, but nothing really worked. Of course, it was backed up by patrols and helicopter forces.

If the USA is serious about detering illegal immegration from Mexico, this is the type of fence barrier that needs to be erected on the border.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Who would we get to do all this fine landscaping then? Americans? Labor? Where's the Capitalism in that....

Reply to
Jackcsg

After one of the coldest winters up here in Pa and east coast I wonder how many will be staying here year round. They mostly do drywall and landscaping up here very few live in the area due to the weather.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

I think we should all move to Mexico...illegally of course.

There's a couple of alarm guys that I see at ADI from time to time, they come up from Mexico and STOCK the fxxx up. I mean they buy tons of stuff and go back to Mexico to install it.

| > Beachcomber | >

| Who would we get to do all this fine landscaping then? | Americans? | Labor? | Where's the Capitalism in that.... | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If the job were restricted to Americans you might just be surprised who would take it. There are plenty of US Citizens that are out-of-work.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Ha. A guy I knew years ago that ran an autobody shop told the story of a colleague who got tired of the smell from guys (customers and employees) constantly going out back and relieving themselves into the same hidden corner. So he apparently dug up the area, put a metal plate in the ground, wired it to a spark coil, and covered it back up. Heard some very amusing screams coming from out back for the first couple days, until guys got the point.

Reply to
Matt Ion

What they make up here in 6 mos, is enough to spend the next 6 mos back in warmer weather. Who's the dummy...

Reply to
Jackcsg

Simple supply and demand. Remove the cheap, illegal labor from the market, and employers would be forced to pay Americans more money to do the same job. The argument that there are jobs that Americans wouldn't want to do is just plain stupid when counties in my state are suffering from 15% unemployment. Sure, employers may have to pay what the job is truly worth, but the strength of a free market economy is the middle class and a little wealth redistribution wouldn't hurt anyone.

Btw, it looks like at least one state is getting serious down South. SC is trying to make illegal aliens criminal trespassers complete with

5 year prision sentences.
Reply to
J. Sloud

The current passed from a buried device through the stream, then through the employee's body and out through his shoes? If there happened to be a grounded pipe nearby and the employee happened to beholding onto it while relieving himself that might work.

Have you read Olson's story of being shocked while standing partway up a ladder when it mysteriously jumped into an open electrical cabinet mounted to the surface of a beam near the ceiling of some warehouse? That one also presented some interesting challenges to laws of physics.

The unbelievable part (for anyone who knows the first thing about electricity) was how he managed to get shocked while standing partway up the ladder. Have you ever seen a bird on a high tension wire? Notice how they don't get shocked, even though the cable may be carrying 50,000 Volts?

But I digress. In the present story the conductor is already making ground contact. The victim, unless he's otherwise grounded) offers far greater resistance to earth than the plate sitting on the ground. A worker wearing typical workboots can touch a live conductor and feel nothing... unless he touches ground at the same time. If you touch the output of a spark coil while leaning against the fender of a vehicle, the current will flow through you, jump the gap through your trousers and give you something to remember. But in this case the current would pass harmlessly from the plate into the ground if the other end of the coil was also earth grounded. If not, it wouldn't go anywhere.

In all probability the guy who told you the story made it up. It sounds funny at first but I doubt he actually did it.

Reply to
robertlbass

That's not surprising. I have customers in Mexico who say it's cheaper to order products online from the USA and pay the shipping than it is to buy the same products locally. The wierd part is some of those products are actually made in Mexico.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.