Its My Fault....

... so terribley sorry. I apologize for suspending your service for non-payment. Yes, making a phone call and asking about what you have received in writing several times over the last couple months does certainly change everything. No I certainly didn't have an ethical leg to stand on. Of course everybody lets you keep receiving service for free no matter how long you don't pay your bill. So sorry for expecting to get paid for my services.

F' off. Moron.

Now you know how my day started out.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

You're just an uncaring cad.

Reply to
Jim

** You're just an uncaring cad.

That's CAD.

You know its funny. I've been doing more trade in one of my hobbies lately, and I am a lot happier than when I go to my day job. My customers in that field all want prototypes and they either pay upfront or they don't. I can see me getting out of contracting some day, or atleast turning it into my part time hobby.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

RHC: Remember, this is only the first day of the rest of your life. Don't let idiots get to you; you'll find them everywhere. But vent away....it's good for the soul...:))

Reply to
tourman

I seem to be having the same experience. I've always had a liking for audio from when I was a kid but just never took the time to really get into it. In the last 10 years or so, I've been doing more and more TV, surround sound and home theater work. Right now, I've got more home theater jobs scheduled than alarm work. No RMR but people will really pay lots for entertainment. And the biggest reason is that buying a TV or any type of A/V device is so complicated that the end user is totally lost when trying to choose. I read about 4 magazines a month and browse the A/V forums and just being able to direct my customer base on what to buy has brought me lots of business. Go figure. I get to work and play with equipment that I'd never be able to afford nor even be able to utilize. Lot's of fun and I get paid too!!!

Reply to
Jim

Thats Why I love being the contract Engineer at a radio station get to play with all the toys etc. I hooked up the Arbitron encoders today so w can tell if anyone is listening thru there portable people meters Arbitron put out couple years ago It should be interesting.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I always wondered how they ever could know if anyone was listening.

What's an Arbitron and how does it work?

Reply to
Jim

Originally they used paper logs and people selected in the community would fill in what TV or radio stations they where watching and or listening to at what times and submit these monthly to Arbitron. Arbitron would then crunch the numbers so advertisers and show producers would know if there shows and ads where working. For example in Pittsburgh Pa. the no1# morning drive radio show listened to was always 1020 KDKA and no2# was 102.5 WDVE now 104.7 WPGB an FM talker is no1#

While the logs where effective it took time to get them back and compile them with there new PPM equipment you carry a small meter with you and it auto logs and can then be downloaded via the net for closer to real time results.

What I installed yesterday is a Sub-audible encoder which inserts symbols in the air stream which these PPM meters pick up pretty neat. Now we will know if people are listening to our station and which shows they are listening to.

formatting link

Reply to
nick markowitz

Originally they used paper logs and people selected in the community would fill in what TV or radio stations they where watching and or listening to at what times and submit these monthly to Arbitron. Arbitron would then crunch the numbers so advertisers and show producers would know if there shows and ads where working. For example in Pittsburgh Pa. the no1# morning drive radio show listened to was always 1020 KDKA and no2# was 102.5 WDVE now 104.7 WPGB an FM talker is no1#

While the logs where effective it took time to get them back and compile them with there new PPM equipment you carry a small meter with you and it auto logs and can then be downloaded via the net for closer to real time results.

What I installed yesterday is a Sub-audible encoder which inserts symbols in the air stream which these PPM meters pick up pretty neat. Now we will know if people are listening to our station and which shows they are listening to.

formatting link

Nick, you are creating a cliffhanger...........................

If I understand what you just typed then the Sub-audible encode inserts 'blips' on to the radio signal that can't be heard either because it is to low or to high for the human ear to hear. These 'blips' are then broadcast out into the world and beyond, bouncing off the ionosphere or not and are then picked up by the radio receiver when someone is listening to your station. Then this "radio receiver" turns into a "radio transmitter" that then transmits the 'blips' back up to the PPM meters that collects the 'blips' and you get a report of how many 'blips' are being sent and when. Right??

The part that really has be hanging is how the radio receiver turns into a transmitter. That part escapes me some how.

All very interesting and Big Brother thing wrapped into one. WOW!!!

Thanks for helping me to understand the way it works.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Able1, anything that receives is also a transmitter, how else would you know it received the signal in the first place..

with that said most receivers only transmit audio, video or data range signals, however with the proper equipment you could pickup the IF signals from a receiver at a considerable range. (ie... spy stuff)

RTS

formatting link

Nick, you are creating a cliffhanger...........................

If I understand what you just typed then the Sub-audible encode inserts 'blips' on to the radio signal that can't be heard either because it is to low or to high for the human ear to hear. These 'blips' are then broadcast out into the world and beyond, bouncing off the ionosphere or not and are then picked up by the radio receiver when someone is listening to your station. Then this "radio receiver" turns into a "radio transmitter" that then transmits the 'blips' back up to the PPM meters that collects the 'blips' and you get a report of how many 'blips' are being sent and when. Right??

The part that really has be hanging is how the radio receiver turns into a transmitter. That part escapes me some how.

All very interesting and Big Brother thing wrapped into one. WOW!!!

Thanks for helping me to understand the way it works.

Les

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

The PPM is a powerful receiver which is designed to pick up the sub audible symbols being transmitted by radio and TV stations Think of it as an Fm station which transmits in stereo a regular am/ fm cheap radio does not hear the stereo signal but a better grade one will.

Same ideal behind Digital AM/FM transmissions there known as IBOC In band on channel the digital signals ride on same carrier wave the analog does. so depending which radio you have you can hear it all analog and digital or just analog.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Hey Coo-well.

After I got out of the Navy, I never did anything with my RF Experience It's a whole other world. And now days, it's even more intricate considering Cellular and Wireless networks.

Was a time I was considered as knowing "lots" about "electronics". Now, ............ there's just too much to know.

Besides, now, my brain is so filled with useless information, I suffer from a bad case of CRS. (Can't remember shit)

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : snipped-for-privacy@l32g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...

Besides, now, my brain is so filled with useless information, I suffer from a bad case of CRS. (Can't remember shit)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope your case of CRS never go up to the point of being the CESSIA type.. (Can't Even Smell Shit Anymore )

Reply to
Petem

The PPM is a powerful receiver which is designed to pick up the sub audible symbols being transmitted by radio and TV stations Think of it as an Fm station which transmits in stereo a regular am/ fm cheap radio does not hear the stereo signal but a better grade one will.

Same ideal behind Digital AM/FM transmissions there known as IBOC In band on channel the digital signals ride on same carrier wave the analog does. so depending which radio you have you can hear it all analog and digital or just analog.

Nick,

Ok, I admit I do not understand but I do get the conceptual idea of what is going on.

So what is the range of this PPM?? Miles or hundreds of miles??

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

--=AD-------------

Well, my wife says I have a case of CEHSA ( Cant even hear shit anymore)

But, thankfully I can only occasionally hear her say it.

Reply to
Jim

----=AD-------------

The PPM only picks up a few feet from radio but station I take care of is 5000 watts so we cover most of southwest pa and parts of eastern ohio however at night we go down to 69 watts what a bummer

Reply to
nick markowitz

There goes the theory you had any money..

Reply to
G. Morgan

You coulda picked up a magazine (Popual Mechanics would be a good starting point for you).

shez...

Reply to
G. Morgan

He does not understand a word you say..

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.