Just doing business on OPM

Dear Mr Mega Corp President,

Regarding: Your recent letter dictating what terms you will (or won't) pay us on.

1st off, I am at a loss as to why you are writing to me except possibly as "fair warning." We have no business relationship with Mega Corp, and have no history with Mega Corp either as a vendor or as a client. You can not even claim that we have an assumed contract or agreement because of a previous relationship with Pervious Mega Corp or Prior Mega Corp when they occupied your locations in our small town as we cancelled their service and terminated our relationship with them due to similar policies and the resulting affects it had on their account with us, and how it conflicted with our policies.

We are a small locally owned contractor. Our terms are:

Recurring Services:

Payment is due on or before the first day of the period for which it covers. If not received in our office by the fifth day penalties (not interest) are charged and the client is no longer considered in good standing or as having a good history with us.

Maintenance & Repairs:

Labor and materials due upon completion. A grace period of upto seven days may be allowed for clients with an established relationship and history of prompt payment.

Contracting For Smaller Jobs:

1/3 down

1/3 when equipment is delivered to site before work begins

Balance upon substantial completion.

Contracting for Larger Jobs:

Progressive payments as set by us and in no circumstances to allow for a lower relative payment than with payment for small jobs.

We never accept any preconditions to work or service after a service has been provided, work has begun, materials have been delivered, or a contract has been signed. We don't care what anybody else does. This is our policy.

We are very much aware of the policy of larger contractors to try and do business on the backs of smaller contractors, but we simply do not work for people like that. It does limit our client pool, but we are able to provide a better quality of service to our customers by not letting others dictate terms to our company. Why should our good customers suffer because of others who demand exceptional terms.

I would also like to point out that you have equipment on your current sites that is either not functioning, or is transmitting data to us at our expense. The former needs to be rectified for your benefit, and the latter needs to be rectified to prevent legal problems. If you need to have our assistance to rectify these situations or to allow you to have somebody else rectify these situations we can give you an estimate of charges and will expect payment before we begin work as we have no established relationship of any kind.

Based on the last two letters received from your company we do not see how we can currently provide ANY services for you. I hope you understand that this is a set of policies and conditions that has kept us in business in Yuma for more than fifteen years inspite of many companies we have dealt with over the years who are no longer here. The "we are big and important you are little and unimportant" mentatilty just doesn't work with us. We understand that there are other companies that may be will to acceed to your terms, and we understand if we do not get your business.

Sincerely,

Small business owner surviving yet another recession and still paying his bills.

Reply to
I R AN IDIOT
Loading thread data ...

CAPITALIST PIGBOY!

Sheesh,...what you trying to do STAY in business when we have a bailout waiting for you?!

Where's HIS letter to you?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Doesn't matter. We have all received letters like his from some big corp who wants to dictate terms to the little guys. Most little guys just roll over and are happy to get paid whatever they can. I don't. Its my choice, and its company policy.

I have had companies try all kinds of things to not pay me, but the small jobs terms (under 20 grand) has saved my ass more than once.

"Go ahead and get started."

"Yes sir. Just as soon as I get your deposit we will order the parts."

Reply to
I R AN IDIOT

=BF=BDIts my choice,

I don't even entertain the possibility ..... of working for people like that anymore. When offered by someone to be "introduced" to someone to "get a lot of business" ..... as someone mentioned here ....... my answer is " No Thank you, I'm so busy now that I couldn't take on anymore right now." (even if I'm not .... which is rarely)

My customer base provides me with sufficent work that is a never ending progression of income and has been for many years. As I've mentioned before ( and it's probably the main reason that I don't get these types of offers much anymore) I have an unlisted telephone number and I don't advertise.

Reply to
Jim

oh no I totally agree, they think because we're small (micro actually) that we will be their whipping boys.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I watched a major builder (Toll Brothers) burn out 3 different companies on one small development (120 homes). The low voltage package was sent out for bid again and yet another company picked it up. The housing market crashed so I imagine the 4th company crashed with it. I wonder why our industry stands in line to be abused. Amazing. When will these mega companies figure out that almost every bit of technology, in todays world, is tied to low voltage applications at some point and that the industry needs to be paid to perform? These companies are masters at figuring out how to stretch you out. With the best of contracts, you can be stretched out 45 days+ even if contract payment is set for 30 day pay. Mailing from out of state could put another 5 days on it. Watch out for pay schedules that require all invoicing to be in by the 20th of the month for approval so that it can be in the main office by the 30th. They will hold you off until after the 20th on doing the work so that you cannot bill until the 20th of the following month. Now you are out 70 days. Also, I found it necessary to put each billable item on separate invoice. This way, if an invoice contains an item that is not approved and is kicked back, approved items will not be held up for payment. All this is mostly with the residential builders. Larger commerial and industrial is percentage draws which isn't as bad. The draw isn't on schedule, the work stops. Much easier.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

My only guess as to why there always seems to be someone to take the leap, is that there's always that new company who hasn't been through the bumps yet who's willing to take the risk or doesn't think or know it's a risk. The builders are aware of this and just keep throwing out the bait until they catch another dumb fish.

It's like becoming a star in show business. The alarm company thinks that with a job this size they can become a big business and that all the builders will come to them. That they can become a "Star". I'm sure there are a few that do but the percentages of those that don't, is too much bigger.

It's the fish who get away with minimum damage that get smart.

Right now, there are still other trades and professions that can do some of what we can do. It may take another decade or so .... but the industry is slowly maturing. Eventually, and especially because it's technology driven, and the future is technology ...... it will be a totally recognized and respected trade.

And we will have been it's pioneers.

Reply to
Jim

My only guess as to why there always seems to be someone to take the leap, is that there's always that new company who hasn't been through the bumps yet who's willing to take the risk or doesn't think or know it's a risk. The builders are aware of this and just keep throwing out the bait until they catch another dumb fish.

It's like becoming a star in show business. The alarm company thinks that with a job this size they can become a big business and that all the builders will come to them. That they can become a "Star". I'm sure there are a few that do but the percentages of those that don't, is too much bigger.

It's the fish who get away with minimum damage that get smart.

Right now, there are still other trades and professions that can do some of what we can do. It may take another decade or so .... but the industry is slowly maturing. Eventually, and especially because it's technology driven, and the future is technology ...... it will be a totally recognized and respected trade.

And we will have been it's pioneers.

All so true. If these young upstarts will just remember that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. I think about it as, when we all were young, Dad didn't know anything until we were in our late twenties early thirties. Then all of a sudden, Dad became really smart. Sometimes I wish he would have been that smart when I was in my teens. It would have saved me alot of time and trouble.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Jim wrote in news:441912ce-c3e5-4e9c-bf04-bf81aa0dff10@

21g2000vbk.googlegroups.com:

Amen too that.

I did a bunch of pre-wire's last year for a large contractor and i actually made out really well. Then they started the "you must have invoices in by the 10th to get paid on the 30th." I only did a very few more for them and they still owe me for one that I'll never see. The guy that owned the corp thought he was the Donald trump of the South; now he will be lucky to escape with the shirt on his back.

Reply to
motley me

ewww Toll Brothers low bid on everything, high price for house...if buyers only knew what crap lay behind the fancy faux-painted walls!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Your alarm wiring??? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

ha...I got thicker skin that that. besides I only did a few through them...not for them...for clients that bought their homes. They won't let you do that anymore

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.