How much effort should I put to hard-wire?

I hate to burst your bubble, friend, but Texas is not the only state in the US with trees in it. For that matter, Texas isn't exactly noted for its extensive forests. The destruction of large tracts of Texas lumber did not, in and of itself, constitute a nationwide shortage.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

C'mon, asshole. Still waiting for your witty reply.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

East Texas was (and still is heavily forested) noted for it's extensive forests.

Try decaf, Robert- that way you'll actually READ the subject matter before replying.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Ladies, ladies... let's all play nice now.

Reply to
Matt Ion

:^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I've been there. You've got some very nice trees. It's still not -- and never was -- the primary source of US lumber. You guys do have a thriving sage brush industry though. :^)

Try using an appropriate metaphor. The decaf crack is usually directed at folks who respond to disagreement with a barrage of gutter talk like what you posted.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"About one-half of the timber left is in the three Pacific Coast states, and over 61 per cent is west of the Great Plains."

That doesn't sound like Texas to me.

Yes, we know there were forest fires before George Bush came along to destroy the rest of the country. What that does not say is that there were severe lumber shortages... because there weren't... between WWI and II.

So, when the OP's home was under construction, there was a prediction that 10 years hence there would be a severe shortage of yellow pine. And this affected construction of his home in what manner?

That was about as pertinent to the question at hand as an olsonic comment. Eschew obfuscation.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think you have me confused with one of your paramours.

Do you think you'd understand?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

formatting link
's_construction.htm Here ya go. Look's easy to wire....

BTW- My wife's from Nagogdoches. They call the forests there the "Piney Woods". It's essentially the other end of the Ozark mountain range. One of the many forest areas in North America that were heavily depleted. Following WW1, housing demand was up, labor costs were up, lumber production was down due to scarcity of supply and transportation costs, but demand shot up, causing prices to double or triple. Folks built smaller and/or built with less costly materials and used methods which reduced labor costs. reinforced concrete, bricks, stone, stell, and slab construction during this time were very common. I've worked in dozens of homes built during this era, and they are more difficult to wire than Post WW2 homes. Much more difficult, in many cases.

If you believe that older homes are "almost as easy" as wiring a newer home, you're not only mistaken, but you're obviously overstating your actual experience with homes from that era.

I'm done with the thread. Everyone already knows you're a know-it-all hot-air-spewing self-serving idiot, so any further revelation of your obvious lack of knowledge of, a)- early 20th century North American dwelling construction, b)- designing and installing low voltage systems in aforementioned dwellings, c)- simple American history vis-a-vis lumber shortages during/shortly after WW1 (and during the depression, and during WW2), or d)- how to avoid showing everyone how truly ignorant you are of the very things you espouse to be so 'knowlegeable' of, is unnecessary.

Go have a donut, and contemplate the center of that donut very carefully. This represents the value of your self-serving contributions to this group.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Nacogdoches

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

I'll send a condolence card.

It's all being systematically depleted even today. The present administration is making certain of that. However, there was never a time other than during the wars when you could not obtain enough lumber to build a house. Lumber prices went up during the post-war construction boom. So did the cost of brick, concrete and every other building material.

Brick construction has never been less expensive than wood framing. Masonry walls take more than twice the time to build than wood. Materials are not cheaper either.

Dozens? You're just getting started. I've installed hundreds of security, intercom and whole-house audio systems in older homes. I've also completely rewired the AC and replaced virtually all of the plumbing in two of them which I owned and done most of that working with friends on their own homes over the years.

Slightly so.

Only if you haven't any idea how to do it.

I've done a bit more work in older homes than what you describe, friend. I've been in this trade for 29 years, 24 of them running a small alarm company. During all of that time I installed and ran service calls. A major portion of my customers were in old New England homes. I've wired everything from ultra-modern to several homes on the national historical register.

It's been such a pleasure chatting with you.

Awe, gee! Now you've gone and hurt my feelings. You can't imagine how badly I feel just knowing that you feel that way. Whatever will I do?

You've still not managed to explain how WWII and the Great Depression impacted construction in 1920. Were the trees precognizant?

Fortunately, I've got such a fine example in you. :^)

Can't. I already ate the darned thing.

Ah, such devastating wit. Have you considered a career in theater?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I found a photo of your family homestead. It would be almost nice if it were a bit larger.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Careful there, Robert will now explain how he's done thousands of those particular houses and how easy they are for a DIY'er

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm there now, you obviously haven't seen it in years or you'd know east Texas as well as Arkansas are a major lumber source mostly because the moonbat liberals from the west coast haven't made there way over here yet

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Especially when they've been added on several times over the years

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You have to admit tho he's given several specifics where you on the other hand have relied on vague recollection and assumptions

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Go have a donut, and contemplate the center of that donut very carefully. This represents the value of your self-serving contributions to this group.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

You're repeating yourself a lot lately. Did you forget posting the exact same blather earlier in the day? Have you been to your gerontologist lately? Come to think of it, do you even remember his name?

*1. Memory loss. Forgetting recently learned information is one of the most common early signs of dementia. A person begins to forget more often and is unable to recall the information later.

Do you recall making an inappropriate crack about decaf?

*6. Problems with abstract thinking. Someone with Alzheimer?s disease may have unusual difficulty performing complex mental tasks, like forgetting what numbers are for and how they should be used.

I notice you seem to become extremely agitated over trivial things, for example a difference of opinion about lumber 85 years ago.

*8. Changes in mood or behavior. Someone with Alzheimer?s disease may show rapid mood swings ? from calm to tears to anger ? for no apparent reason. On the plus side, people with Alzheimer's have certain advantages. For one, they meet new people every day.
  • formatting link
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hi Eric,

I just thought I'd let this thread play out a little before I posted what I presume has become most obvious to you by now.

Robert Bass is a trouble maker and a fraud who just happens to take up space in this Newsgroup of alarm installers. He's an unlicensed former installer who is only interested in defaming installation companies so that he can convince end users who come here for advice to buy equipment from him. He posts unrealistic, vague, and actually wrong methods of installing alarm equipment, so that it will appeal and seem realistic to anyone without any experience.

As you might be able to guess, there's not a regular participant in this group that is not targeted by Bass's arrogance and nasty conduct when he is opposed. If all of this isn't enough of a thorn in the side of the "regulars" here, the very fact that this man is a convicted felon and responsible for the death of someone, only adds to his incredible lies and misdirection about his experience and background in this industry. Additionally, through the years in Usenet he's caused similar and the same constant upheaval in other Newsgroups. His stated favorite pastime is going real life with people who oppose him by calling their employers and telling lies about them putting their jobs in jeopardy. And you know what the amazing thing about all this is? It's all documented in Usenet. Doing a google search under his name in an aviation group from years ago shows that he was actually cast out of a Newsgroup for lying about people to their employer, stealing proprietary information from someone, and trying to have someone pilots license revoked by lying and saying they were flying while intoxicated. Add to that the countless times he's been caught lying along with his bad BBB rating and numbers of complaints from disatisfied customers, in this group.

I could take the time to poke numerous holes in his recommendations about installing door contacts but all of the truly experienced people here can already see them. Just beware of anything this persons says, does, or may try to convince you to do. At this point you've barely seen a smidgen of the chaos and distruction of this group that this nasty jerk causes here, and has, through the years.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.