[Telecom] Re: Emergency call boxes still in use article

If I'm not mistaken, didn't either NYC or Philly have an issue with

> overwhelmed E-911 systems? I recall stories of being being forced to > wait on hold or having to repeatedly try calling because of an all > circuits busy message.

I don't know about NYC's history.

Phila's old plain 911 system sometimes had busy signals or no answer on busy Saturday nights.

Phila had problems with the 911 _operators_ messing up. One time desperate pleas for help were not properly prioritized and a kid being attacked died as a result. The parents told the city they wouldn't sue if the city would use the money to fix up the system, which it did.

The murderers got only 5 years in prison thanks to the courts. That was a disgrace.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Most metro areas have problems with 911 operators messing up.

Several years ago I was abused so badly by a California Highway Patrol

911 operator when I hit a deer that the recording became a training example for some departments on "how not to treat the caller."

I passed it out; not the CHP. ;-)

I would have never gotten my hands on the tape except for some extraordinary persistence. ;-) It even didn't exist for several weeks.

What I learned is that the job has a whole lot of stress, the working conditions are terrible, and many publis safety employers, like the CHP, make working in Russian salt mines look like great job.

And, the turnover is so high the hiring standards exist only on paper.

In rural areas this is not true, because they usually aren't overwhelmed for hours on end.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.