Electrical

In my process of adding an EV charging station I had wanted to add another 20 amp 220V outlet for occasional use of other 220V equipment in the garage. (band saw, radial arm saw, non business CNC machine, etc) With the 50 amp breaker for the charging station the sub panel is now full. They make high density breakers (4 poles in the space of 2), but I was unable to find one for this panel.

I know the odds of one of you being specifically familiar is slim, but its worth a shot.

Before somebody says, "Did you try Home Depot?" in a dry nasally voice. Yes I tried all the usual easy suspects.

The sub panel is a GE PowerMark Gold Load Center. I am looking for a drop in 4 pole high density breaker in the configuration of 20/20-20/20. It looks like the Siemens breakers with a UNV suffix may be a correct fit, but the outside poles on the only one I found were 15 amp. All the existing circuits are 20 amp. The panel is currently being used as a sub panel, and is full at the moment. Other Siemens breakers I found that appeared to be a match will not physically fit. They have a blocker plate on the connections, and the physical gap in the middle is to narrow.

I did also look for a GE solution since its a GE panel, but was unable to find anything at all. I would ask them if they had a solution I had not found, but they make accepting all cookies and agreeing to receive SPAM a condition of contact.

The suffix UNV I found with the 15 amp poles was at Lowes. I did not physically try it, but visually it appears to have the correct gap to fit around the plastic rejection tab in the panel, the correct depth for the contact lugs, and correct snap in length when compared directly with the 50 amp GE breaker I used for the EV station.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

As I sit out here trying to find another breaker I just received a couple images via text from my wife. She has plugged the new EV station into her car for the first time and it appears to be working.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

maybe try looking at the problem a different way. maybe convert some other circuits to the slim doubler breaker, freeing up a full size plug-in for available breakers to do what your after.. RTS

Reply to
RTS

Second Send.......... Don't know why but it did not show up on list?

Hi Bob,

Are you a member of ContractorTalk.com?? If not, someone there might have the answer to your challenge.

If you are and knowing how you do what you do, you have already posed the question there and are awaiting a response.

Hope you get it all working as you desire.

Glad the EV is charging.................. as per your wife's desire!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I did think of that, but I didn't find one suitable. In another group somebody linked to some Siemens brand on ebay that I'll have to check out. Its a good suggestion.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I am not. Or if I am its been so long I have forgotten. I shy away from a lot of specialty groups these days. I get tired of the know-it-alls snapping off with, "Well if you don't already know hire a pro, take it to a dealer, or "you are un-anointed, and should be flogged, keelhauled, and flayed for even asking."

Thanks Les. I kinda freaked out. The car heads up and her mobile ap both said 67-1/2 hrs to reach full charge. That was crazy since it would be about the same rate as the 16 amp cord on 120V. I was wondering if Kia had pulled some kind of smart chip current limiting bullshit, but after 12hrs it had gone from 29% charge to 60% charge. The estimated charge time was totally wrong. It looks like the charger may not have been charging at full current but it was faster than the car was estimating. I may pick up an AMPROBE and click around one of the 240V leads to see what the draw current is, but I'm less concerned this morning than I was last night.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

I understand but for the most part ContractorTalk.com doesn't do that. However what they do do is if you are not a Contractor they will direct you to

formatting link
and close the thread.

But it seems that you may be getting close on a solution.

Hope it works.

It may be that the charging process needs to see a number of cycles to get the estimated charge time more accurate. Time will tell........

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.