CO2 Placement

What's the current thought on placing CO2 detectors? I am working on a three story house with a wine-cellar basement. Its a restoration of an old mansion here. Do I need to put a detector on each floor? How high should they be? Which detector do you recommend? Thanks in advance for the input. Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter
Loading thread data ...

What type of heat? I'd keep them low on and on the level lower then the combustion heat.

Reply to
Rich

I think the heat will be gas. There are gas lines running through the house leftover from the original construction. There are 8 fireplaces! Will expect some trouble with the smoke detectors as the fireplaces are in all of the bedrooms.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Do you mean "CO", or "CO2". Two completely different gasses with completely different properties so detector placement will be critical.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I think it would be wise to just read the directions and follow the mfg. recommendations for installation of the unit in question. js

Reply to
alarman

The recommended height is 5 feet above the floor ("breathing height," according to one manufacturer). Place a detector outside each bedroom and consider placing one near the furnace if it's gas fired. The same applies to fireplaces and other places where combustion air has the potential to mix with room air.

Some manufacturers recommend against placing CO (not CO2 by the way) detectors inside bedrooms due to problems with aerosol propellant (hairspray, for example).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Well what if there was a massive soda bottle rupture due to global warming, you could suffocate on all the carbon dioxide.

| >

| | | Do you mean "CO", or "CO2". Two completely different gasses with | completely different properties so detector placement will be critical.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Not if your CO2 detector is located PROPERLY. js

Reply to
alarman
5 ft seams awful high, if I laying in bed I'd want 2-3 ft
Reply to
Rich

Perhaps so. Absent a spec from UL I just follow the manufacturer's instructions. ISTR Macurco says 5 feet up. YMMV.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Additional comments:

I just noticed a change in Macurco's recommendations. They now suggest bedroom locations as well for their CM-S1 detector. I guess they've licked the problem with aerosol propellants.

FWIW, they're a good brand. If you've not yet settled on one, you may want to consider them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I trust you,

Reply to
Rich

And that presumably, based upon my near-fatal experience with putting too much dry-ice in a monster fog machine, would be UNDER the sody-pop.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I put in a GE couple of weeks ago and they recommended 5 fff and Up...even on the ceiling, which is where I put it; above the mbr door.

| Bass Home Electronics | 941-925-8650 | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think if everyone would simply read all of the opinions that have been posted in this sage group in the past, regarding the placement of CO detectors and taking a consensus of all those opinions, it would be quite clear to anyone with any intelligence at all ...... that it was ok to mount a CO detector anywhere. As long as the main panel had and earth ground ..... ummmm .... or didn't.

Reply to
Jim

Please remember to ground your plastic back boxes too.

Reply to
Frank Olson

like in this faq...

formatting link
a little part of it....Subject: Should I use plastic or metal boxes?

The NEC permits use of plastic boxes with non-metallic cable only. The reasoning is simple -- with armoured cable, the box itself provides ground conductor continuity. U.S. plastic boxes don't use metal cable clamps.

The CEC is slightly different. The CEC never permits cable armour as a grounding conductor. However, you must still provide ground continuity for metallic sheath. The CEC also requires grounding of any metal cable clamps on plastic boxes.

The advantage of plastic boxes is comparatively minor even for non-metallic sheathed cable -- you can avoid making one ground connection and they sometimes cost a little less. On the other hand, plastic boxes are more vulnerable to impacts. For exposed or shop wiring, metal boxes are probably better.

Metal receptacle covers must be grounded, even on plastic boxes. This may be achieved by use of a switch with ground connection.

Reply to
Petem

The problem is there isn't a consensus. Different manufacturers specify different locations. I follow Macurco's advice because that's my favorite brand. I understandf their reasoning though, and I agree with them. CO mixes readily with air. Although it is warmer than air when it first emerges from the fire, it quickly mixes, especially if being pushed through a forced air HVAC system.

If I installed one in a furnace room I'd place it at ceiling height. But in or near bedrooms I would go with the 5 foot height. YMMV.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I ground my plastic boxes with fiber optic cable, allows for faster transmutation of electrons.

| | Please remember to ground your plastic back boxes too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I prefer to use bungee cords. The elasticity helps deal with changing voltages.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.