Brinks, Slomins Shield, or ADT?

And some of the DIYer's you teach "all the time" are also the same ones that complain to the BBB!

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

The P816 and higher panels are what I was talking about, the XP and

400/800/801 program like DSC which is why they are easy. Magnums were okay but they all are more time consuming than they need to be
Reply to
Mark Leuck

Sir, as one of the other posters suggested, you might want to call in a small, local dealer. At the very least, he can give you a more customized solution to securing your residence. It may also be possible to find one who will not lock you into a long term contract, but if so, expect to pay full market price for the system up front. But contract or not, go with the dealer who gives you the best feeling/ solution/ professional approach, and not necessarily the lowest price.

You should also pay close attention to the physical aspects of securing your home to help to keep them out to start with. It doesn't make much sense to spend major dollars on an electronic solution to warn if they are already in the home unless you have taken the necessary simple precautions to keep them out to start with. Alarms are an important part of your home defence system but definately not the first thing nor the only thing you need to do.

Doors should be solid, locks of good quality, and most important, the strikes should be strong and well anchored into the frame of the building. Window bars work well, but make sure they do not present a safety hazard (they should be of the kind that are easily removeable from the inside). Walk around your home and try to spot the easy points of entry; then do something about them. Patio doors must also be secured properly.

My website has information on it about most aspects of securing your home properly if you care to spend a little time researching the subject

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will call a few local companies. It seems the man trying to get in used a chair to try and get into a first floor backyard window. My tenant saw his face at the window.

We are in the second floor apt. I assume that if the perimeter of the house is protected someone can't get up to the second floor either. Do you think a motion sensing alarm that lights the backyard would also help. There are many stray cats though that might be back there. Anyway, we have been there for 45+ years without incident. I guess it's a whole new world now. A police officer is coming to visit soon to access the situation.

Reply to
aryder

Cats will trip the motion lights...but so what? :-)

| > Any help would be much appreciated. Please, no sales pitches! | | Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will call a few local | companies. It seems the man trying to get in used a chair to try and | get into a first floor backyard window. My tenant saw his face at the | window. | | We are in the second floor apt. I assume that if the perimeter of the | house is protected someone can't get up to the second floor either. Do | you think a motion sensing alarm that lights the backyard would also | help. There are many stray cats though that might be back there. | Anyway, we have been there for 45+ years without incident. I guess | it's a whole new world now. A police officer is coming to visit soon | to access the situation. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, cats need light to find a good place to take a dump.

Reply to
Sue

That's not the case???? You only deal with the people who can't program them so you think that nobody can or that everybody doesn't use them. The people who can program them have no use for you. And anyone stupid enough to use a National central station can't be that bright to begin with.

Duhhhhh!

I said:

" Even though both Napco and Ademco, were based in the NY metro area, Napco was the most popular panel by far, for many, many years. It may still be, but I don't know."

Yes ..... in my area Napco is the predominant panel. I'm sure there are other areas where other equipment is more popular than Ademco too. I seem to remember that in some of the nothern mid west states, there were a number of fairly large alarm companys that were exclusive FBI for decades.

As far behind in technology as Ademco has been for decades, it can only be due to their multiple points of distribution and their deep pockets that keeps them a major supplier.

And Napco stopped selling to ADI. I wonder if it could be

Ummm they pushed Ademco ABOVE EVERY OTHER PANEL?

Naa-.

Reply to
Jim

You are the only one who seems to think people can't program them since I never said that, what I have said was they are much more difficult and time consuming than they need to be and by looking at the new versions with toggle options instead of adding different values even Napco knows this

Thats because FBI was cheap low-end product, around here it's the DSC

1550/1555.

No not really

Considering the fact that they barely seem to ever give a shit what I buy there I doubt that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Brinks systems are proprietary, but with the right knowledge you can take them over.

Jim Rojas

Crash Gord> Definitely not Brinks, unless you want to buy a whole new system if you're

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I'd like to know how...but doubt that I'd ever go through the trouble of trying to crack a Brinks panel rather than replace a board and keypad.

| > Dunno much about Slomin. | >

| > ADT at least their equipment can be taken over if your not happy..but only | > after your initial term expires because the DO excute their contracts to the | > letter. No outs there. | >

| > Personally... find a good local small company that's been around a while and | > get a couple of bids. With the big boys you're just a number and RMR to | > their bean-counters. You'll never see the same tech twice and you'll be | > explaining your problem (if you have one) to 20 people before any action is | > taken. | >

| > R. | >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I personally don't think it's worth it, those panels are crap compared to the normal stuff out there and they send some very strange SIA signals

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yes really. Name the last innovative product in the alarm equipment area. Something that was really different and did things that other mfgs don't already do ...... and do it better.

If you walk in and know what you want, sure.

If you walk in and say .... what's good equipment, a good panel, a good PIR ..... they don't say GE.

Reply to
Jim

I think most installers just want to "take them over" to the dumpster

Reply to
Jim

formatting link
This document explains it all.

Jim Rojas

Crash Gord> I'd like to know how...but doubt that I'd ever go through the trouble of

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.