Ademco 15p and AD-2001 Dialer

Have a 15p using a 4204 relay module connected to a AD-2001 dialer. When the alarm trips it calls the programed number OK but hangs up immediately. 15p is set to 2 second close on alarm. Any hints on why the AD-2001 does not play the OGM. Thanks JB

Reply to
carolinaoff
Loading thread data ...

Set the relay to remain transferred for 10 minutes or more.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

10 minutes eh? He might want to check programming of the dialer first don't you think?

Maybe Step #7 might be a good place to start

Reply to
mleuck

That would be fine if momentary triggering was the best option. I prefer maintained trigger because it allows the user to stop the dialer by disarming the panel with no further action required. With momentary triggering, if even the user disarms the panel the dialer will run its course, sending unnecessary notifications. Thus, the best choice (IMO) is to set the relay for about 10 minutes. The dialer will typically finish its run in less time than that if it isn't stopped by disarming or by someone pressing 1-#-1-#.

I've sold thousands of these dialers over the years. They work well enough, though they're are not as secure as digital monitoring.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Appreciate the replies but it appears the problem may be in the dialer. Disconnected the alarm, using only power and telephone connection I run the test, shows set OK plays message through speaker but calls and hangs up before the message is played over the phone.

TLine: Tone, PBX off, Attempts 2, Repeats 3

Channels: Enbled, No Exit Delay, No Entrance Delay, N.O., COntinuious -

Dial and message heard but called phone rings and immediately the unit hangs up.

carol> Have a 15p using a 4204 relay module connected to a AD-2001 dialer. When

Reply to
carolinaoff

Will that seize the phone line for 10 minutes??

Just asking...cause I'd never install on of those...curious.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It will seize the line until one of several things happens:

1. Someone disarms the system.
  2. Someone presses 1#1# on the phone.
  3. The system makes three attempts to contact each number programmed for the channel.
  4. The relay times out (in this case, after 10 minutes).
  5. Mark admits he's wrong about something.

My money's on 1,2, 3 or 4. Note, however, that option #3 will almost certainly happen long before that 10 minutes elapses. I could as easily have said 3 minutes but I like to be certain the system has time to complete #3.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sounds as though the unit is bushed. If your dealer is any good he'll replace it or at least get it repaired for you. If not, call my office tomorrow morning and I'll arrange warranty service for you.

If you call, make sure it's before noon (Eastern time). I'm leaving on vacation for a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

With no power to the phone, I don't think 1#1# (or any other combination) will work to restore the seized line. This could be dangerous for the end user as he's unable to use his phone for ten minutes. Not all carry cells.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The relay would be open for 10 minutes not the phone line, a problem with multiple alarms if the dialer can't call again because the relay that activates it is still open

If it takes a 10 minute relay activation to get a dialer to send signals either ditch the dialer or learn to program it properly, since the 2001 has a momentary or maintained activation that shouldn't be too difficult even for Robert

Reply to
mleuck

I believe it is set up correctly:

Appreciate the replies but it appears the problem may be in the dialer. Disconnected the alarm, using only power and telephone connection I run the test, shows set OK plays message through speaker but calls and hangs up before the message is played over the phone.

TLine: Tone, PBX off, Attempts 2, Repeats 3

Channels: Enbled, No Exit Delay, No Entrance Delay, N.O., Continuious (tried momentary also - same result).

Dial and message heard but called phone rings and immediately the unit hangs up.

Question is - is this a symptom of a broken dialer?

mleuck wrote:

Reply to
carolinaoff

A broken dialer won't dial Is step 2 Pager set to no? You also may need to program several P pauses after the phone number

Reply to
mleuck

The person receiving the call can press 1#1# -- not the person on the premises.

Disarming the system will also kill the relay, immediately stopping the dialer and releasing the line.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Actually, the relay would *transfer* (not "open") for 10 minutes or until the system is disarmed, whichever comes first.

The idea is to give it enough time to complete three rounds of calls to as many as 4 numbers. That only happens if no one responds with the 1#1# on a phone that receives the message and no one disarms the system. The problem with the momentary setting is the dialer will keep on calling even if the system is disarmed after an accidental alarm. That is invariably the worst choice.

I'll give you a pass on not understanding this stuff since you don't use these things. Although they are not as secure as central station monitoring (when performed by more competent companies than Monitronix), auto-dialers do serve a purpose for folks who don't want or need those services.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Assuming he/she is home to do that

Reply to
mleuck

You didn't make that clear in your response. In fact, it looked to me like you were listing the various factors that would restore the phone line *at* the premises.

That's not exactly true either. The Visonic dialler won't hang up the line until you press "cancel" on the dialler itself.

Reply to
Frank Olson

If not, the AD-2001 will try the next number in sequence until the system is disarmed, someone responds or until it makes 3 rounds of calls. As I mentioned earlier, these devices are not as secure as central station monitoring. However, they can be useful in situations where non-emergency personnel need to be notified or in locations where police response is too slow to be of value.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sorry if I was unclear. The simplest way to stop the AD-2001 dialer from the protected premises when programmed the way I described is to disarm the system. In almost no case is it preferrable to set the AD-2001 for momentary trigger because that makes the dialer continue even after disarming the system.

Yes, it is exactly true. We're talking about the United Security AD-2001 -- not Visonic.

BTW, I misspoke (mistyped?) a while back. The AD-2001 can be programmed for 1 to 9 rounds of calls -- not just the three rounds I mentioned earlier. It can also be programmed to repeat the message up to three times per call.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.