Adding Sirene /speaker and Strobe to DSC PC3000

Hi everybody, I am new in this group and found a lot of interesting discussion here. Question please:

1. What is the difference between a Siren and a Speaker?
  2. My DSC PC3000 has two bells ( Siren? or Speaker?).
  3. Would like to add one more. Siren or Speaker???. How to wire to the panel. Can I connect to the bell terminal directly (right polarity). Or since I already have two bells, does it need a separate power supply, relay, siren driver??? Suggestion, which one?
  4. Would like to add a very bright Strobe outdoor (long long driveway). Which one is suggested? Thinking about programming "Programmable Output" [28] to 8 (Strobe output, latched alarm output); and separate power supply and relay. Thx u. Kindly waiting for all of your expertise.
Reply to
gdjiang
Loading thread data ...

A siren to me means a self contined unit that only needs straight DC volatage to activate. It can be mechanical (like a bell) or have integrated electronics (siren driver). A speaker is just that, a speaker like on your home stereo or car radio. It needs a separate siren driver and accepts that AC type input.

This is easy to do but might not be practical. There is a limit to the output of the alarm system and not knowing what is on there already you might overload the system. A PC3000 is fairly old stuff already. You have enough knowledge to cause yourself some problems. Until you know how to measure a load on a circuit and the difference in series, parallel and series-parallel circuits (or are willing to learn) stick with what you have.

Typically stobes hog less power and would be safer to install but not knowing what is on there already means there is still some risk of overloading.

That might mean the system would keep the signal going until it was disarmed; maybe be okay for a strobe only connection. If you use that for a siren trip as well and if you left on vacation and returned days later (and had an alarm in the interim) there would be angry neighbors and a police fine for excessive noise I suspect.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.