1624 Routing Switch Module

We are looking at purchasing a 1624 Routing Switch module for one of our satellite offices. I have been told that the 1624 is an OEM D-Link switch and is flakey at best. Is there anyone out there using one of these devices that can comment on the stability of the switch. We will be using it to complete a triangle eventually and will interface with 2 8610's.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Jake
Loading thread data ...

I use several 1624's in combination with 2 8606 Core switches in the core / distribution layer. I don't complain about stability, no problem at all. I only think that they are a little old, maybe you'd better look into the

5500 series routing switches. I just purchased 2 5530-TFD's I use them for the core of a satellite office of about 250 people and they look really promising. I have there 2 5530's in the core and the servers are connected to them completely redundant. The access layer is build up using 425's, which I also use in the main office.

Greetings, Jan Hugo Prins

Reply to
Jan Hugo Prins

The problem with the 55xx models is the fiber port capacity is to low and I don't believe that they do Advanced Routing. That is what is pushing us to the 1624.

Thanks for the info on the stability though.

Reply to
Jake

the new 5530 model has higher fiber port capacity. But you are right that if needing dynamic routing (Rip, OSPF)the 1600 series works great, the 5500 models only suppot static routing at this time.

Reply to
MC

I am using several (about 10)1612G and 1648T switches, both in pairs (for redundancy) and in triangles/rings with 8610 and 1424T. They are working very well, but if you want to use OSPF and VRRP you MUST use the latest software. There was a nasty bug (uptime counter resetting to 0) in the earlier versions, that would freeze the switch every 49,5 days ! This has now been fixed, and the switches are rock-solid.

Regards Morten Rydahl Nielsen

Reply to
Morten Rydahl Nielsen

What software version, do you need to be at to support ospf. Do you know if the 1648 supports, port filtering and qos tagging on those ports. i.e. port 21,80,23 etc.

Reply to
klass5switch

I strongly recomend using the newest release (1.2.4.0). Qos is fully supported. IP filtering is there, but in my opinion rather primitive. The manual is here:

formatting link
Regards Morten Rydahl Nielsen

Reply to
Morten Rydahl Nielsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.