Cisco 5002 switch

Hi

I have a Cisco 5002 switch and would like to enable intervlan routing.

Can i use RSM or can this not be used on a 5002?

Thanks Dilan

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

on a 5002, the SUP goes in slot 1 and assuming have a line card module in slot 2 that would not a slot for the RSM

Reply to
Merv

Looks like the 5002 does not support RSM or VIP/2.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks. So does that mean intervlan routing cannot be enabled on a 5002 or is there another way?

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

I seem to recall that -

If you have a NFFC of the correct flavour you can do MLS (Multi Layer Switching) with a relatively small external router doing the routing of the initial packets.

This though is kind of old technology and always seemed a bit ropey at the best of times. It was swiftly overtaken by L3 hardware routing. I have no idea what the support for it is in current software.

formatting link
Aug 30, 2005

"Catalyst 5000 series switches support MLS in Supervisor Engine III with Netflow Feature Card (NFFC) or NFFC II."

This appears to be slightly misleading since you //ALSO// need a router.

"Catalyst 5000 also supports MLS using Route Switch Module (RSM), Route Switch Feature Card (RSFC), or external Cisco 7500, 7200,

4500, 4700, and 3600 series routers. The MSM or MSFC on a Catalyst 6000 switch can also be used as an external RP for # Catalyst 5000."
Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
Updated: Aug 30, 2005

BTW

MLS is not even mentioned in the Feature(less) Navigator. However it is quite likely that the Feature(less) Navigator that is broken.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
> Updated: Aug 30, 2005

Sorry, realised that must be nonsense since Cisco call the current, different, L3 switching architecture MLS too.

It's IP MLS.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
> > Updated: Aug 30, 2005

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
> > Updated: Aug 30, 2005

Feature Navigator says that 1841, 2691, 28xx, 36xx, 37xx, 38xx, and many bigger support MLS.

Reply to
Bod43

from the product overview on CCO :

"All switches, except the Catalyst 5002 switch, accept the Route Switch Module (RSM) "

seems pretty clear. The same document will also tell you it will not support a supIII, but there are 2 versions of the 5002, one with and one without a PFC. Do a show module to see if you've got a PFC. If not, no intervlan routing. If yes, you could try using an external router, see "configuring intervlan routing"using an external router in the CatOS documentation. If you've got an external router to help out, using that as a router on a stick is probably easier.

Reply to
brink

Thanks everyone for their help.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.