Switch randomly drops connection to port

Hi,

This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the switch we only have one in the network.

Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs and Single SBS Server

My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.

It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server environment. It cannot ping the server though.

All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors show up in the switch.

I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.

I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test a bunch of ports. All is well!

This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!

About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the switch. It works!

Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.

Please help!

Thanks so much!

Reply to
KDawg44
Loading thread data ...

How are these switches interconnected. Please be specific and provide details. I'm curious if you have a switching loop.

Reply to
Brad

I am sure I do not have a switching loop. All the littl swiches are plugge into the netgear and PCs and that is it. No little switches are plugged into multiple drops or other switches.

Netgear ----- Dynex Switch in Conference Room ------PCs | -------Dynex Switch in Warehouse ----- 2 PCs (since been removed since the software transition is complete, same issue until I moved to different port on the Netgear)

Thanks so much for the response.

Reply to
KDawg44

Also when I log into the web interface of the switch, the ports having problems are showing packets sent but none or almost none received. They show no errors though.

For instance: port tx rx tx-errors rx-errors

36 698688 0 0 0

THanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
KDawg44

Okay, some more information. I just swapped the warehouse PC from the port that is working (changed it to earlier), port 45 back to its original port that was not working port 39. It did not work. Received an IP, but could not go anywhere or ping anything except the loopback. Here is information for both the working (45) and not working (39) ports.

39 Auto On Down
Reply to
KDawg44

Oh and not sure if this will help but the switch is firmware V1.1.2_05.

Reply to
KDawg44

2 more ports have mysteriously gone down now. One of them hooked to a printer. So I submitted a print job and monitored the ports traffic. The sending traffic increased as I submitted the print job but the receiving did not. I am not sure if this helps anything. No errors listed.

I find it hard to believe that they would send me a switch to replace a faulty switch with another faulty switch (possible but is it really likely??) so I feel like there must be something else.

If it is another faulty switch, then I need to know for sure bc then I will go to my folks who decide how much money I can spend and tell them that I absolutely need something better.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
KDawg44

It appears I am the only one on the board at the moment :)

I looked over my notes, and, for whatever its worth, the replacement switch has the exact same ports not working as the previous switch (and before you ask, I did not mix them up, the new one doesnt have our company asset tag on it yet).

Ports 33-35-36-37-39-45

THanks

Reply to
KDawg44

It's Netgear. They'll happily send you a dozen faulty switches in a row, rather than admit that there might be a fatal firmware or design flaw.

Netgear has a "Exchanges only, No Returns" policy, by the way, so if it was a known product flaw fixed in another switch model, you wouldn't even be able to get them to trade to the other model. After all, you didn't buy the switch from Netgear, you bought it from a dealer, so Netgear considers this kind of thing to be the dealer's problem.

That said, what you describe does not sound familiar to me.

Is there someone who could lend you a switch for a few days for testing?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

This is a newsgroup not a board. Many Gooogle Groups users seem unaware of this distinction. Newsgroups have existed for decades prior to the creation of the Google Groups interface. Newsgroup conversations don't depend on people being "on" at the same time.

I find it best to allow up to two days for a good answer in newsgroups. Don't forget about propagation delays and timezones.

formatting link
suggests how to get a faster response.

I don't know how much your hourly rate is or how much time you've spent on this but $1700 for a Catalyst switch may be a cheaper solution.

I'm no expert in this area but now that I've commented I feel compelled to throw in a few thoughts ...

Since your Netgear switch is a smart switch, what is it's management interface telling you about the state of the ports which have the problem?

Have you used a network sniffer to view the traffic to a problem port?

Just my $0.02 worth.

Reply to
Ian Wilson

Yes I did sniff on a port that was not working. I can see everything getting to the server, and I can see the server responding to the request, but none of the responses make it back to the PC in question. There are zero responses making it to the PC yet I can see that the server is responding. I switch to a working port, resposes show up and everything is working fine.

The management interface reports no errors. On the ports not working, it shows information sent, but little to none receieved. On the ports that are working, shows sent and received fine.

Thanks for your responses. This has been very frustrating.

Thanks.

Reply to
KDawg44

All right I am done with this netgear switch. I am buying a Cisco switch. I would like full functionality since I am putting the money into it, I need 48 10/100 ports and 2 10/100/1000 ports (atleast). I do not need any fiber or anything. Would a 2960 suffice? Did that replace the 2950's?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Reply to
KDawg44

I am looking at a Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT 48 port Switch. Can I log into the CLI to configre VLANs, trunking, STP, VTP, etc?

Thanks.

Reply to
KDawg44

Yes, definitely. That's a fully managed switch complete with the traditional IOS interface. (Someone told me that the graphic interface is also fairly good.)

If you are going to be purchasing with the VLAN and QoS features in mind, then you should start thinking about which device would be doing the VLAN to VLAN routing. You mentioned that you have an ASA; that should be able to do it (provided it is at least a 5510 with advanced image). But when you only have one of these devices in the network, it can be a tough decision between the 29x0 layer 2+ devices and the 3550 or 3750 layer 3+ devices.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Check your cabling end 2 end and RJ45 connectors.

t0

Reply to
t0

Just to follow up, I received my Cisco switch, swapped it out, and all problems disappeared. Response times are faster than they ever were with the Netgear, even when it was "working"

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Reply to
KDawg44

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.