How do LED 12V Dimmable light bulb works?

I bought the following LED dimmable light bulbs :

formatting link
However I=92m not sure how to make it work. I=92m sure that I can=92t just connect it directly to the power outlet as I can burn it, probably I need some type of power adapter but I=92m not sure.

I would like to use an INSTEON dimmer but I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this before and could share some thoghts with me before I buy any dimmer.

This is the first time that I see the MR16 power input (the two pins), and I don=92t know where to buy those either, or how to make connect them on serial (or parallel) to control multiple light bulbs from a single power source/dimmer.

I noticed that this light bulb has some type of heat dissipation thing attached to it; but I thought LEDs didn=92t produce much heat, does anyone know why these light bulbs have to manage heat when these consume only 12V?

If anyone could tell me what is what I need to buy and where to buy it to have my setup working would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
emoreno
Loading thread data ...

I know of no way to use that with 120V nor does Insteon make a dimmer that works with 12V AFAIK.

You would be better off with a 120V dimmable LED with a standard screw base.

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Agreeing with Dave...too much money for that product. prices have just dropped huge in the last few weeks. return it and get yourself a 120Vac unit.

You may have trouble making any series, trickle current controlled remote or dimmer unit work with this, though. This means having a neutral available in the switch box.

LEDS get very hot and cannot handle their own wasted energy. Don't buy all the super efficiency BS. White LEDS are very slightly more efficient than other newer types and the light quality, from the units I have seen, sucks. The efficiency rating are typically raw LED chips and the ballast circuitry and lenses and casing has to be added. Single colour LEDs are most efficient but different colours do not add in intensity similar to lighting from both sides of an object do not make it brighter on either side.

It would be doubtful that you can ever put these waveform chopping units in series with anything useful. Find something that uses the wiring neutral and does not depend on trickle current leaking through the bulb. It will never stop flashing until the ballast circuitry is burned out.

BTW: 12Volt is a voltage and is never "consumed". That is analogous to water pressure in a hose. The pressure is never "consumed" . The water is consumed. In this case current drawn by the bulb and circuitry.

-----------------

I know of no way to use that with 120V nor does Insteon make a dimmer that works with 12V AFAIK.

You would be better off with a 120V dimmable LED with a standard screw base.

--------------- " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

Reply to
Dave Houston

I am seeing $10-15 dimmable bulbs in the big box stores lately.

-----------------------

LED lights have been too expensive for most pe>Agreeing with Dave...too much money for that product. prices have just

canâ??t just

Reply to
Josepi

Reply to
emoreno

I use a dimmable MR16 LED in the reading spotlight in my bedroom. I simply replaced the existing tungsten lamp in the fixture that I purchased at my local big-box with the dimmable LED lamp.

So buy a fixture designed for 12 volt and you are go-to-go. Mine is a Good Earth Lighting Model 199335-WH . A google search will show multiple vendors including from Amazon.

Yes. It works fine with an INSTEON lamp (dimming) module. I don't turn it on at 100% because if I do, sometimes it will start to blink, presumably because a protection circuit kicks in owing to over-temperature or over-current. But that's a minor issue because it is easy to set to say 85%. Control is typically through scenes using an ISY.

Tungsten lamps get even hotter that LEDs-- in fact they have to get hot to emit light. In contrast, the LED and associated electronics cannot tolerate such high temperatures. Despite what you may read here, white LEDs have higher efficacy than tungsten lamps.

I bought my MR-16 lamp fixture reading lamp at from Lowes or Home Despot ( I forget.) It is a Good Earth Lighting model 199335-WH . A google search will show multiple vendors including from Amazon.

I also have 12v track ceiling lighting which is more of a specialty item available from lighting suppliers or directly from the manufacturer. I can dig up my info on that if useful. That runs off big DC dimmers controlled by DMX-512. When the tungsten lamps finally burn out, I may switch over to LED.

Hope This Helps ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

"Better off? "

The OP already has the lamps.

For less than what he probably paid for one lamp, at my local big box I bought a fixture with power supply for MR-16 lamps that is dimmable. It dims a MR16 LED well when powered through a plain-jane INSTEON lamp model. See my previous post in this thread

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

This is an area where I've not kept current as I've been in and out of the hospital several times (4 surgeries and another being discussed) in the past year.

However, Amazon usually allows you to return items. You might be able to exchange it for a dimmable LED with a standard base such as...

formatting link
That way you have a standard base that can be used in any standard fixture.

I've >

Reply to
Dave Houston

ethan7557 had written this in response to

formatting link
: I use a dimmable MR16 LED in the reading spotlight
formatting link
in my bedroom. I simply replaced the existing tungsten lamp.

Reply to
ethan7557

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.