Ceiling Fan lights rapid on off flashing when fan is rotating

I have installed a Hunter ceiling fan with a Hampton Bay thermostatic remote control. Seemed easy enough. I am using the energy saving spiral light bulbs. At night I noticed when the fan was on (and the lights off), the lights were coming on slightly rapidly flashing with the rotation of the fan. I switched out one of the two energy saving spiral bulbs with one regular bulb, the other spiral light stopped flashing as soon as I screwed the regular bulb in, and the regular ones never have the flashing problem.

I called Hunter and they blame the remote controller of course.

Any thoughts/ideas where to start?

Thanks

Reply to
favelinks
Loading thread data ...

So is it the lightbulb then? and not my wiring?

Reply to
favelinks

I have the same problem with energy saving spiral light bulbs using x10 lamp module or appliance module. I think some spiral bulbs sent a noise signal which affect x10 functionality (nowhere is mention that in the user guide) When using a lamp module and the lamp module is off, the bulb is flashing. When using apliance module and the module shitch off, the apliance module is set back on automatically after less than 1 sec.. So I can not put the apliance module to on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The spiral bulbs are flourescent bulbs. They will not work with X10 lamp modules and other triac dimmer devices such as the ceiling fan remote control. Use incandescent bulbs in the fan ONLY. As for using Appliance Modules with flouescents, you may have to disable the local control feature of the module. That's easily done by following the instructions here:

formatting link

From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
BruceR

Thank you for your response Bruce. I guess I have to go out and buy some old fashioned bulbs now!

Reply to
favelinks

There are also spiral fluorescent lamps that are dimmable and should work with a triac control. However, if there is "local on", x10-type control, there still may be problem.

Reply to
Art Todesco

In the same time I would like to know why the local control feature should be disabled (I understood, to make it running for fluorescent bulbs), but what role is this local control playing in a normal way.

Thanks a lot, I will try your sugestion.

Reply to
Chris

OK, I find out and read now also what means local control "...automatically turns the applicance module on when the device connected to it is turned on."

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hmm, it seems the Greenlite spiral fluorescent lamps work fine with the X10 Appliance module. I have been using two of the 18 watt size for a number of months. They aren't dimmable, but an appliance module won't dim.

My words from a posting to this newsgroup late last year...

formatting link
I paid about $8 more than a year ago for a Lites of America CFL that lasted less than a week while being switched with a modified Appliance module. I had to cut a jumper in the module to disable local sensing since the module would immediately switch ON when switched OFF.

The Greenlite 18 watt Mini spiral CF lamps don't cause this undesirable module switching. Local control switching works fine with a couple of ON/OFF switch cycles. I've had two of these CF switching daily with an appliance module since July '04. ....

Lites of America CFL = bad Greenlite CFL = good.

Reply to
Jack Ak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.