X10 Passive Couplers

When using the XTB in a house with X10 devices on both phases, a good passive coupler should be installed to propagate the strong XTB output signal to the other phase. The inexpensive .1uF capacitor often recommended is NOT a good match for the XTB. That has a capacitive reactance of 13 ohms at 120KHz, and is barely adequate to transfer the energy from a normal X10 transmitter. It will also not discriminate between X10 signal and line noise, and will couple any high frequency line noise directly across the phases.

The XTB should be used with a series tuned circuit, using a capacitor and inductor as a minimum. Should you want to roll you own, a .22uF

630VDC/250VAC capacitor in series with a 8.2uH inductor, similar to the Miller 5800 8R2, will give good performance. However, the more elaborate passive filters sold by X10, Leviton, and Smarthome will provide the best performance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp
Loading thread data ...

Hello Jeff,

You might want to add a fuse just in case that capacitor decides to croak. Happened at a friend's house and he said the kaboom in the wee morning hours made him jolt out of bed in one second. It was an AC rated cap, sounded like a gun shot.

Reply to
Joerg

Jeff,

Any plans for a 240 Volt, 50 Hertz version of the XTB for those of us outside the US?

Regards,

Ross.

Jeff Volp wrote:

Reply to
Ross

I revised the printed circuit board to give room to squeeze in the higher voltage capacitors needed for 240V operation. I assembled a 240V version myself, but had trouble testing it. It's a long story, but the trouble was due to my test configuration. Unfortunately, a clip lead popped off during testing and carbonized a good portion of that board. I will assemble another 240V unit, but will have to devise a different means to test it in my 120V environment.

The biggest problem with the present XTB is that the case has the standard

120V North American plug molded directly into it. Polycase doesn't list an alternate case with mounting bosses positioned to accept present XTB board.

If the XTB-II comes to fruition, it will be in a larger case without the built-in plug. So it will be easy to wire in the appropriate connector for

240V operation.

A well-known European contributor to this group assembled his own 240V version. It appears some of our email has been lost - possibly blocked by spam filters. I hope to get further results from him soon.

Bottom line is that it is being worked on. More info about the conversion is included near the end of the XTB Assembly Notes at:

formatting link
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Thanks for the Info Jeff. I'm sure the 240V/50Hertz world would look forward to an XTB-II. It you do go for the larger case, maybe an IEC C14 connector might work. That way, it can be used regardless of the plug the country uses.

Regards..

Ross.

Jeff Volp wrote:

Reply to
Ross

I'm planning on just a terminal strip on the board so the user can wire in whatever is appropriate for his area.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.