X10 dimmer modules and CF lamps

Question: I read in one of Jeff Volp's posts that he uses a CF lamp on an X10 lamp module (living room?). We have a lot of outdoor flood lights that I'd love to convert to CFL. However, many of those are controlled by dimmer modules which I suppose are fairly similar to lamp modules.

What is the worst case scenario that could happen if someone would accidentally dim them? I have tried it on a normal dimmer and it just became erratic. But not all CF lamps are the same, so I was wondering.

Reply to
Joerg
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
BruceR

Hello Bruce,

Probably just the expensive ones. At Lowes and HD they all said not to be dimmable. It would be ok if they weren't dimmable but if the situation remained safe if someone accidentally did. Most CFLs drop into a fast pulsing when dimmed but the packages don't say whether or not something catastrophic could result if left in that mode.

Thanks, got to look for those. When I installed X10 here about 5 years ago there were only wall outlets with relays and that meant no internal switch. Anything for lamps had triac control and dimming.

Reply to
Joerg

Here's what you need:

Single-Pole (One Location) Switch (6291) Leviton ? Equipped with Intellisense (gated automatic gain control) and provides manual and remote ON/OFF control. Can be set to any of 256 DHC address codes to switch incandescent, inductive or resistive loads where dimming is not required. Responds to ON, OFF, ALL LIGHTS ON/ALL OFF commands. Wires easily into standard wall box using terminal screws. Neutral Connection Required. Pilot light is ON when switch is ON. Code wheels are located beneath rocker plate. Packed with Ivory and White Rocker and Frame. Kits for other colors must be purchased separately. Rated: 15A 120V AC 60Hz Incandescent, Inductive or Resistive.

I have a case of these that I never used that are brand new in the box. These normally sell for about $28 but I'll sell what I have for $19 each delivered.

Joerg wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it. With AGC they are probably better in receiving codes than what we have now. But first I'll have to buy a few CF flood lights to see if they can generate enough lumens to light the areas where we play ping-pong in the evenings. That's where most of our flood lights are.

For some reason the dimmer modules have always worked fine. The plug-in units are the ones that sometimes miss a command.

Reply to
Joerg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.