Wiring question -6287

I was going to install a 6287 to see if it would alleviate my signal sucking CFLs. The problem is there is a switched socket on the same circuit as the lights (3). But the socket only gets used for the Christmas lights, so I figure I've got a few months to test.

I took the covers off the three CFL lights in the string and I discovered that two of the three lights are 'End of Line'. So I guess I need at least two 6287s? For the intermediate box, The load side of the 6287 needs to go to both loads (two blacks- light and downstream lights) and the line side needs to go to the black wire coming from the switch? Kinda obvious I hope, but I thought I should check.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Stock
Loading thread data ...

OK,

That seems to have worked, no smoke, no flames and the damn switch responded to an Off command. Hallelujah!

Now, if I wire the downstream load (receptacle + 3rd light) to the live side of the 6287, will this bypass the middle 6287 for the downstream receptacle? I can then put a third 6287 on the end light, which will allow me to put more than 5 amps on the receptacle?

TIA.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Those are nice little filters, and I use several of them here. It is a little hard for me to visualize your connections without a diagram of some sort:

SW ----------> (6287) CFL ------> CFL -----> SW Recept ----> (6287) CFL

Assuming the switch controls the receptacle and 3 lights, something like this should work fine.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

I was going to put up some ASCII art, but it's just to painful.

Your diagram is close, I picture it something like this:

The current setup is:

CFL CFL---------->Receptacle--------->CFL

I've got everything past the 2nd 6287 on the load side of the switch .

I'd like to change it to this:

CFL CFL---------->Receptacle--------->6287->CFL

By only having the second light on the load side of the switch and everything downstream connected to the live side of the 6287.

If this works out, I've got two more lights on the same unit code, but different circuits. Although they don't seem to bother the X10 as much.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Sorry, but I'm confused by the apparent reverse current flow in your diagram. Also, it looks like you plan to feed the receptacle through the

6287. The important thing to remember is that the 6287 is only rated for 5 amps, so only power to the compact fluorescents should pass through it. The switched receptacle should get its feed directly from the switch.

My ASCII diagram didn't come out too clear. I tried to show was the switch feeding the first CF through a 6287, and a second daisy chained off that one. The switched receptacle was tapped of the feed to that 6287, bypassing the filter. A CF downstream of the switched receptacle had its own 6287. Variable and fixed fonts screw up the diagram (repeated here):

SW ----------> (6287) CFL ------> CFL -----> SW Recept ----> (6287) CFL

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.