Home Weather Measurement - Need Options

Hi Everyone,

I have my house set up with X10 for lighting / motion sensing / heating control. The next thing I want to do is integrate basic weather data like outside temperature (averaged over at least two external sensors), and then move on to humidity and more advanced stuff like rainfall and wind measurement.

Rather than trying to integrate this into my X10 system (which I don't think is possible), what I want is a simple weather station that I can interface to my PC. I run Linux, and what I really want is something I can program myself. In other words I'm looking for a device that's easy to interface with (uses a simple serial protocol), and is "open" in publishing it's interface / API.

A basic web search points to the stuff made by Oregon Scientific and Lacrosse, which is pretty useless for my purposes.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Reply to
Richard S. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Google " 1-wire weather linux "

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Marc_F_Hult wrote: : Google " 1-wire weather linux "

OK, got that, thanks.

So the question I should have asked was:

Of the available 1-wire bus master interfaces, which one do most people around here use?

That's all I need. Thanks again.

Reply to
Richard S. Smith

Richard S. Smith wrote: : Of the available 1-wire bus master interfaces, which one do most : people around here use?

I think I have it. The LinkTH from iButtonLink looks to be easily programmable (uses ASCII rather than making the programmer deal with bit-level decoding).

That's what I was looking for, a 1-wire interface that works sort of like how the ACT TI-103 works for X10.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard S. Smith

formatting link

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

RFXCOM has a USB 433.92MHz receiver for X10 and Oregon Scientific combined. A second 310MHz US X10 receiver or a Visonic receiver can be added into the same USB interface. See the download page at

formatting link
for detailed information.

There are Linux systems running with the RFXCOM receiver. Check

formatting link

The RFXCOM receiver has also a 32 bits W800 compatible mode but in this mode only Oregon temperature sensors can be received. In the variable length mode most (and I suppose ALL) Oregon sensors can be received.

Bert

Dave Houst> "Richard S. Smith" wrote:

Reply to
b_weijenberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.