Where Do YOU Go For Your (Daily?) X-10 "Fix"?

I've been a X-10 User for *MANY* (20? 25??) years. My first "kit", that I bought at SEARS, included a BSR Ultrasonic Command Console. [Whoa! :D ]

[Mr Rogers {bless his heart (as now done by Robin Williams)}: 'Can you say "BSR"?' ;) ]

From time-to-time, I get "spurts" when I enjoy checking on "X-10

Activity" daily. But, to-date, I have not found any ONE PLACE where I can get my (complete) "Daily Fix".

I've been running a CM11A with ActiveHome v1.32 successfully for a few years (I started out in my "computer-controlled phase" with a TW-523 along with a RS-232 Votrax Speech Synthesizer running under GW BASIC on an IBM PC! :p ). I "WANTED" to upgrade to a USB CM15A when it first came out a few months ago, but after following the messages on various sites for a few weeks, I (wisely it seems) decided against it.

Where I do check (somewhat) regularly is as follows:

DAILY (or almost): ==================

- GROUP:comp.home.automation - this has got to be the MOST COMPLETE place for X-10 information on the Internet! If you have *ANY* X-10 type of question, you can most certainly find the answer here. *BUT*, you have to SEARCH for it - it's not a Forum; there aren't any "logical groupings"; it's ONE BIG LUMP of information and you have to DIG THROUGH IT...

- X-10 Yahoo! Group - this is the "next oldest" X-10 Information Source that I'm aware of. Created on Sep

8, 1999, it currently has 2427 messages available for research. But, "activity" comes and goes, especially for 2005...

- X-10 Automation Chat Forum at Remote Central - Created on Mar 29, 1999 (or Dec 18, 1972 if you go to the LAST Message?!?), this is an active X-10 Forum, but also lacks any "logical grouping". Thus all information retrival must be done via SEARCHES...

- AccessX10 Forums - Created ~Nov 24,

2004, this is an active X-10 Forum that currently appears to be an "ActiveHome Pro" niche. It has good forum software and can possibly grow to become an "all-encompassing" X-10 site given time (and user interest...)

SPORADICALLY: =============

- CocoonTech.Com - Created ~Dec

22, 2003, this active VERY TECHNICAL Forum appears to be a "HomeSeer" niche.

- HomeSeer Technologies General Forums - OBVIOUSLY supported by HomeSeer, I sporadically visit their GENERAL Forums for ideas...

What sites do *YOU* regularly visit?

Why?

-------------------------------------------------- This message was originally created on Mar 14, 2005 and posted on several internet sites simultaneously, with the intention that it will be updated (if possible) "sporadically" as readers respond to it...

Reply to
taketheactive
Loading thread data ...

I usually check comp.home.automation daily. It is the most complete and the most comprehensive, covering topics other than X-10, and having enough posters with real expertise that incorrect info is usually debunked rather quickly while even esoteric questions usually elicit responsive responses.

A couple of the groups you mentioned are too heavily influenced by vendors and/or people who don't let their lack of expertise get in the way of offering advice. ;) Groups dedicated to particular products also have tended to reduce the activity here. I suspect that dilution will continue as such groups proliferate (e.g. X-10 has started their own support forums) and that your quest for a single source will go unfulfilled.

Do you still have the ultras>I've been a X-10 User for *MANY* (20? 25??) years. My first "kit", that

Reply to
Dave Houston

I was really SURPRISED, and DISAPPOINTED, at the ABYSMAL response to my identical post on ALL SIX sites listed in my OP. The era of one hobbyist helping another is fading; the era of the lazy, can't-take-the-time-to-look-it-up-myself whiners going to a few "specialized" sites is taking hold. Vendors full of incorrect advice seem to find EVERY AVAILABLE Home Automation site and SURPRISINGLY they aren't that often challenged/corrected. So sad...

Is this REALLY the *ONLY* site that the "pioneers" still visit?

I routinely use GROUP:comp.home.automation as a X-10 Encyclopedia. With ~10+ years of ARCHIVES, *almost* any question I come up with has already been answered. Sometimes, coming up with the "right" SEARCH parameters is "challenging" - too vague = too much; too specific = too little. [I'd like to be able to PRIVATELY ask YOU a question every now and then, but alas, you no longer list your current E-Mail address.]

In the same relationship as movie/television actors to fans, I've known your reputation for YEARS, but you haven't a clue as to who I am. Regardless, THANKS for all the wonderful, informative posts and the multiple web sites packed with info that you've provided over the years. [VERY SORRY to keep reading about your poor health. Mine too has gone downhill MUCH TOO QUICKLY since I passed the half-century mark.]

YES, I *still* have the Ultrasonic Console, *with* the Remote, in pristine condition, along with a handful of BSR Lamp, Appliance and Wall (Toggle!) Switch modules. Why do you ask?

I also "had" a GE HomeMinder and a Radio Shack HomeMinder (one at a time) "way back when". They were REALLY NICE (for their time) with the cute graphics, etc..., but the video modulators were just TRASH. Both overheated (according to posts I read at that time) and thus "went blind". Repair didn't appear "cost-efficient".

They were replaced with a TW-523 and a Votrax Speech Synthesizer, runn> I usually check comp.home.automation daily. It is the most complete and the

enough

responses.

various

the

X-10

~Dec

"HomeSeer"

Reply to
taketheactive

Unfortunately, the combination of ill health and increased spam forced me to stop publishing my email address and even take steps to eliminate the archived copies of my previous web page as they also included my email address. That plus better filtering by my ISP and the forced shutdown of a few wholesale spammers reduced my received emails from several hundred per day to less than a dozen. I have noticed an uptick lately but am not sure why. For awhile I published an email address on onwe web page that used Java Script so the actual address only existed once the page was d/l. That evaded the bots but I've seen a couple of recent spams that used that address so they've either gotten more sophisticated or someone republished it in uncloaked form.

I do have a slimmed down web page at

formatting link
I was merely curious about the Ultrasonic Console. Are we likely to see it on "Antiques Roadshow"?

These days you can get an embedded PC >I was really SURPRISED, and DISAPPOINTED, at the ABYSMAL response to my

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ain't that the truth! While it's tough on people just trying to be helpful who get in over their heads, it's a good thing, overall. Bad information is worse than no information at all.

I've got some in various states of repair and a few that are definitely still working. I like them because the have a smaller overall footprint than the MAXI 16 although they are quite a bit taller. Some were/are in daily use for over 20 years. That's the hallmark of a good, basic design. The ones that failed usually had the code wheel start to freewheel, but that a nuisance fixable by black tape, not a fatal flaw. Another nuisance is that ALL of the flip lids are broken. They seem to have been designed by the same people who designed CD jewel case hinges. :-)

I wonder what, if any HA gear will be worth the big bucks on _Antiques Roadshow 2105?_ Do you think X-10 will still have some operational presence in the world? It the NYC subways are using 100 year old track and train control gear, there's hope for X-10.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I don't recall ever seeing a remote in person although I think I remember seeing them in DAK ads. Wherever these came from (Sears or RatShack, I think) they came sans remote. Not a bad failure rate, though between us. It may be evidence that leaving electronics on 24/7 leads to lower overall failure rates.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I too have about 6 of the old ultrasonic controllers still in use after

20 years. Only one has failed. I don't use the remotes anymore but still have a few that work. Orginally bought them from DAK in the mid 80's.

Reply to
BruceR

I think you will be pleased to see the Misterhouse-users mailing list. It is chock full of do-it-yourselfers building custom circuits to integrate various hardware, creating software to interact with and monitor various automation devices, etc. It's full of the kind of ingenuity you're seeking. Sometimes they talk about Misterhouse too :-)

It's a great forum for any HA enthusiast, even if they don't use Misterhouse.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.