Wanted - two pair cable for 12VDC and RS485

I am looking for cable with two twisted pairs: one which can carry

500mA/12VDC power up to 80 metres and and another which is screened + twisted and suitable for a RS485 network. The cable will be used for a variety of applications - CCTV control, a small RS485 network including a security alarm keypad, lighting control system.

Is there something suitable available in the UK? (I've looked at Cat5 cable but would prefer not to use this for various reasons.)

Belden 1502R

formatting link
has a 18AWG power pair and a

22AWG twisted pair. BUT it is only available in the US and can only be exported at high cost and in large lengths.

Would I be better off buying separate cables for power and signal?

Reply to
denbigh1974
Loading thread data ...

Cat5 will do the job nicely. I support 16 phones with a 12vdc power pair and 3 lines and it works perfectly. I'd like to learn more about your "various reasons" for not wanting to use Cat5. I also run RS485, ethernet, alarm, audio, video and doorbells with Cat5/5e. When I built the house I ran about 150 drops to everywhere I could think of and, of course, I still missed a few places.

From: snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com

Reply to
BruceR

Maybe look at some isntrumentation cable.

They have a decent twist in them, you can get them in 0.5mm2 or 1.5mm2, they can be overall screened, or individually and overall screened pairs and can come in up to 50 pairs - although I gather you are thinking of something in the order of 2-6 pairs.

Try your local electrical supplier

Mick

snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com wrote:

Reply to
Mick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.