What cable for Line level audio to outbuilding?

I want to run a line level audio line to an outbuilding that will have its own amp and system. (we currently have speaker on the back deck and we want the ability to have the same music playing). The run will be a total of 175 feet, with about 100 feet underground. The options I see are

1) a shielded 16/2 or 18/2 wire. Problem is I can't find any that is rated for exterior use and even in a conduit I am sure it would get wet. I used this wire well in the past for interior use.
formatting link
2) Two rg6 coax cables with rca connectors on the ends.

3) A cat5 solution with baluns

Any recommendations or input as to the best way to do it as well as sources for the cable would be appreciated.

Reply to
longwood
Loading thread data ...

16/2 or 18/2 is overkill for line level audio.. 24/2 or 22/2 is plenty.

I have sent line level audio across telephone grade cabling for distances of 2500' or more. It does require some equalization to offset line losses at the higher frequencies, but at 175' it should not be an issue.

You will want transformers or balanced line drivers and recievers at the ends, assuming you want a clean signal, free of hum, buzz, and EMI.

Don't do this.. at 175', you definitely do not want to be running unbalanced audio, unless you like hum and buzz...

This is probably the easiest and cheapest to implement.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

On 9 Sep 2006 21:08:47 -0700, "longwood" wrote (with possible editing):

The ideal cable would be flooded and shielded twisted pair. I believe Belden makes it, but you'll have to order it from Allied, Mouser, or one like those. ($expensive) 22 - 24 ga would be fine and only ONE end should be grounded. At the distance you're going you're likely to have different ground potentials, so if the wire you use is shielded, only ground ONE end. The reason for twisted pair is that you really need to use a balanced line which means transformers. However, you can try telephone wire or even regular shielded cable both of which are easily obtainable in buryable (flooded) form. If the hum isn't too bad, you're only risk is tying together different grounds. Ideally, you could use fiber, but the terminator boards would be quite expensive.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.