Outdoor temperature sensor . . .`

Hello All,

I googled it, but can't find an answer.

I've got an "Atomic Clock" (La Crosse brand) which has an outdoor temperature sensor. It seemed to be working OK, then the outdoor temperature stopped working. I replaced the batteries in the sensor, and the clock, and left the clock off for a few minutes to reset, then went through the proper procedure to restart the clock by having the temp sensor going, then restarting the clock, waiting for it to read the outdoor temperature before setting the time, etc. I tried this a few times.

Finally said to heck with it, removed the batteries from the remote sensor, and put the sensor in a drawer. (Just rechecked: the sensor has no batteries in it.)

Well, for the past few weeks, with no sensor, the clock (OK, technically not the "clock" ha) has been saying the outdoor temperature is around 73 degrees all the time. Sometimes there's just dashes, but most of the time it says 73 degrees. Sometimes it's 72, sometimes it's 74, but it's always around

73.There is no other sensor around here, according to the other people in the house.

What could be causing this? I'm befuddled. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks, Ned

Reply to
natchmo
Loading thread data ...

Could it be displaying inside temp when the sensor is unplugged?

Reply to
BruceR

If it's like my LaCrosse clock (it automatically sets the time according to radio broadcasts and projects the time on the ceiling with a small laser) it has a tiny hole for a paper clip reset on the back (right below and between the "SET" and "DISP" buttons). Does yours have such a reset?

It also sounds like someone close by might have a similar unit and you are reading the temperature from their unit although the registration procedure is supposed to avoid that. It seems as if you may have registered someone else's transmission. How close are the nearest neighbors? How big was the store you bought it in? I got mine at Target about two Christmases ago and I know they moved hundreds of them - and then stopped carrying them because there were so many returns.

If the sender was in a place where it got wet, it could have shorted out and gone hinky. The remotes aren't nearly as well sealed as the RadioShack weather sensors or the X-10 outdoor Hawkeye sensors. IIRC, they aren't sealed at all.

Mine usually goes blank where the outdoor temp. is supposed to be. It sounds like yours is reading a room temperature somewhere (put another thermometer next to it to make sure it's not YOUR room temperature).

If you're is like mine, there's an annoying and painfully specific "registration" sequence. They also require you to set the time manually at first, which, in my mind, pretty much defeats the purpose of buying a clock "you never have to set!"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks Bruce and Robert for the suggestions.

The clock has an "inside" temperature as well. The inside temp seems to be in synch with what it feels like it should be; sometimes if the sun hits it it says 90 degrees inside.Like you said, I must be getting a signal from somewhere else for the outside temp, and the sensor must be inside a house.

Thanks for the replies.

natchmo

Reply to
natchmo

Our wireless thermometer can pick up our neighbor's transmitter as well as our own.

Reminds me of something funny that happened. Our receiver has a "freeze alert" feature that sounds an alarm when the transmitter on channel 1 getts near 32 degrees. So, I set my transmitter to channel

2, since it's usually around freezing in the winter. So, it worked fine for a while, until one cool night, the thing started beeping. (And, it's in our bedroom.) That's when I found our our neighbor has one too, and his transmitter was set to channel 1.

John

Reply to
John Sevinsky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.