Ocelot and temperature sensings

What are Ocelot users doing to read temperatures from multiple points in a home? Temperature Bobcats are $60 or so so a ten point temperature monitor is in the $600 range. Worthington's catalog lists an ADIATS analog temperature sensor - would that be something to plug into a SECU16 or SECU16I?

I'd like to be able to create log files of the various temps throughout the house and also use that information to direct the Ocelot to issue various X-10 and IR commands. Is it possible to do something like that with at least 8 temperature sensors for under $100?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

Hi Bobby

Maybe have a look at the TOM10 Board ...It can take up to 10 dallas temp sensors and report the status of each via a serial interface......Its a U.K. based product which cost around 60 pounds....You would need to source dallas temp sensors and connect them to the TOM10 Board.......

formatting link

I have used this board myself and it works quite well.......Theres also an xPL Plugin for it as well...

formatting link
HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

I measure temperature at several locations with a SECU16 and thermistors that cost a couple of bucks each. See my post on the ADI forum last June:

formatting link
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

I'm using LM34's to monitor temperatures with my Ocelot and SECU16. I turn my ceiling fan's on based on the current temp in the rooms. A thread can be found at the ADI forums as to how to set these up.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

formatting link

Yes - that's what I want to do although I am at a loss to understand the C-Max code - as usual.

IF Module #1 -SECU16 Thermistor is < 256 THEN Load Data to: V_Temp1 THEN V_Temp1 - 107 THEN V_Temp1 * 117 THEN V_Temp1 / 170 THEN V_Temperature = 113 THEN V_Temperature - V_Temp1

A few questions other than explaining what the above code is doing:

1) What kind of wire and what sort of length limits are involved?

2) Will temperature changes affecting the SECU16 enclosure and pull-up resistors affect the accuracy of the readings?

3) Is there any way to log the readings?

Thanks!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks for the input, Frank. I suspect I am going to go with Jeff's proposed solution since it's something I *sort* of understand and can probably muddle through with his help once I assemble the pieces, some of which I already own.

BTW, I couldn't get the gadgetjunkie.net link to work.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks for the input, Frank. I suspect I am going to go with Jeff's proposed solution since it's something I *sort* of understand and can probably muddle through with his help once I assemble the pieces, some of which I already own.

No Problem......I also have been unable to get back onto his site for quite a while but thought it was something related to my isp....

Good luck with the temp sensing........Im using the Dallas ds18s20 sensors myself connected to my Probe system....this means a cat5 cable to each room allows me to monitor my tv,s dvd players on/off status and also temperature ;-))..... the feedback from the sensors is used to control fans...

formatting link
Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

"Frank Mc Alinden" wrote

Nice site and products, mate! I'm about to tackle redoing the Powermid setup in my house for something a lot more flexible with an Ocelot and a SECU-16IR. I might reuse the Powermids as IR blasters because I'm not having much luck getting the Ocelot to operate *anything* reliably. It would be nice if the AV world was as nicely organized as the PC one.

I like the idea of remote temperature control via fans. One of the reasons for redoing the IR setup is to move a lot of equipment that rarely needs human interaction inside of cabinets to meet with spouse approval. Electronic gears grows new wiring "shoots" almost like ivy around here!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

formatting link
39#000000

Quick code overview: A plot of the voltage produced by the resistor/thermistor network is non-linear, but there is a significant portion of the curve that is nearly linear. That linear portion can be moved up or down in temperature, determined by the value of the fixed resistor. The above code converts the actual voltage measurement to degrees F over that range. Basically, it removes the offset at 0 degrees, and then adjusts the scale to produce 1 count per degree F. The code is a bit convoluted to maintain accuracy with the 16-bit fixed point calculations.

I used just #22 twisted pair. My longest run must be close to 100 feet. Length should not be a issue with the SECU16. A capacitor could always be added across the thermistor if noise pickup became a problem.

The fixed resistor must be reasonably stable, and should be a 50 ppm/C or better 1% resistor.

That may be question better addressed to the ADI group. There have been some recent discussions regarding just that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Good description! Hmm, now I'm getting hungry for Chinese Food.

Reply to
clemslay

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.