Smarthome Insteon Translator

A couple of months ago I suggested that Smarthome offer an X10 to Insteon translator to work with "legacy" controllers like the Stargate and sent them messages to that effect. Happily, they have announced just such a product that will be available soon. It will be Smarthome stock number 2414X and priced at $100. While I never had a reply to my messages I'm sure that they already had this item in the works to bring it out so fast. I am looking forward to its release and I think this will be the item that sways me toward Insteon as opposed to UPB or Zigbee. I'll order the translator and some modules and place the modules in some trouble spots. If they pass muster it's bye-bye X10!

Reply to
BruceR
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link
is all I've found so far. Not much detail but at least it's there!

Reply to
BruceR

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link
Interesting possibilities. Would this integrate well with a Powerlinc module?

Then I find

formatting link
which seems to be a slight variation (no pass-thru plug) and TIMER only software. I've heard they are having trouble coming out with Smarthome Manager V2 ... maybe in Q1? So I wonder if this is an interim measure?

Also offered for a few months is

formatting link
with software that has to run on a computer. The timers and program can't be downloaded to the interface and run independently

These seem to be three types of interfaces that ideally could be combined into one?! I wait with baited breath for Smarthome Manager V2.

Reply to
RF Dude

Probably a file photo. I've put in an order for one but it currently says "Call - Backordered" so it maybe awhile. I'll call Monday to see what more I can learn.

Reply to
BruceR

The mControl software User Manual mentions an "X10 translator" on p10 and specifically refers to the "2414X" on p73 but the first reference seems to refer to a software translation feature rather than hardware...

formatting link

You'll need to paste the above URL into your browser.

BTW, "baited" breath is what you have after eat>

formatting link
Interesting possibilities. Would this

Reply to
Dave Houston

Found some more info in this thread too:

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

That reads more like it sits on the powerline and translates X10 codes that its been programmed for rather than something that replaces a TW523. I guess the only thing that matters is whether it allows you to do what you want.

I w>Found some more info in this thread too:

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

I hope to get more details in the morning when I call. If the Insteon reliability is indeed as advertised and doesn't have the same problems as X10 I will be happy to replace every X10 device I have. The announcement posted here today for a UPB translator is also intriguing. Now the question may become "which is better?" rather than "who will do it first?" Replacing my Stargate is something I'm loath to do as it is a $1000+ investment that works beautifully and after all these years programming in 'Starglish' I'd hate to have to learn another format. Also, JDS support is fantastic.

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

If the speculation by PeterW in the Insteon thread you cited, "...I expect this is a regular 2414U usb powerlincv2, but with custom SALad code downloaded to it" is true, this means they can change the personality of the unit by changing its programming. That's a pretty powerful concept and should allow them to do things like this quickly if they don't have to design new hardware. It's like a babelfish for Insteon. My forehead smarts where I smote it when I finally grasped what they are doing.

It's not clear whether the UPB translator replaces the TW523 or whether it functions in like manner to the 2414X although the description does lean towards the latter. Maybe Brett can clarify that point if he can reverse the ratio in his posts from the current 95% flackery and 5% meat.

Even with each Insteon device being a repeater, signal sinks are still likely to be a problem although a much less severe one than with X-10. I also expect that Insteon will be largely immune to noise but only time will tell. The Insteon technology can be used worldwide which means a larger market (although the need for different plugstyles negates that a bit) which should help keep prices reasonable.

UPB prices are not as reasonable to begin with (Brett's UPB translator costs twice as much as the 2414X) and are not likely to moderate. I don't think the UPB technology will be legal in Europe.

If Brett's translator functi>I hope to get more details in the morning when I call. If the Insteon

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Just an FYI; a bidirectional X10 UPB translator has been announced as well.

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Oops... never mind. I just noticed the earlier announcement on this list.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

The correct URL is

formatting link
Please visit our forums if you have specific questions about the translator.

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Better yet, post questions and answers here. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sorry, to not reply earlier, I have been very busy getting ready to ship by the end of the month. The Chameleo PLC is designed to translate UPB to X-10 and vice-versa. The current version does not replace the UPB PIM or the TW-523/PSC-05. We are testing to determine the limitation of sharing a PIM, but we have not fully tested and created an app note on it yet.

The initial design pairs well with Simply Automated's starter kit. It comes with the UPB PIM, and you will need to supply the X-10 PIM, which is cheap, and if you are like me you have 5 sitting at home anyways.

The device will have a default mode of translating A-1 through P-15 to UPB address-using network ID of 0, which means most users will not have to make any firmware changes to use the Chameleo PLC. Note, the default mode will not work with P-16, this is due to a UPB limitation of 255 addresses not

256, address 0 is reserved for another function.

We have an advanced mode for those who really understand the UPB documentation, which allows each X-10 house code to map to sequential UPB network ID's.

The initial firmware will support basic X-10 codes of Bright, dim, on, off, all lights on, all lights off, and all units off. There will be additional non-documented support. However, we also designed in a firmware update in our design. As demand for a particular feature, set is known it will be developed and a free firmware update will be available. We are planning to support Extended and Compose code set, in the following months.

I will do better at monitoring these forums, as well as I and my engineer monitor our own forum at

formatting link

Thanks for your interest and questions. I am sure I probably have not answered all the questions, so please ask more if desired.

Have a great new year.

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.