roZetta Status

I'm not sure why optoisolators are necessary here. All uPs that I'm aware of have proection diodes on all of their inputs. However, these diodes are not beefy in terms of current handling capability. As long as the current is limited to 40uA or so through a resistor, it should be no problem.

Alan Vogel

Reply to
Alan Vogel
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hello to all,

I'm a new registered user here. I live in SW Missouri with my wife and

4 dogs.

I've been nuts about HA for quite a few years - going back to the brown BSR equipment. My last system was a Caddx NX8E and ADI Ocelot system.

I'm interested in a kit that is at least partially complete. I'm still in the process of rebuilding our home following a tornado back in March, but am very interested in Dave's new project.

I installed an Elk M1G during construction, but will also be using a Homevision controller for most HA/IR. I still have my ADI equipment, but will likely be selling it off over the winter.

Jeff - is this the official support site for RoZetta? I'm going nuts with all the forums and groups associated with various activities.

Dave - I'm still struggling, but hope to have my HA system up and running before winter ;-)) I still have my Ocelot/Secu16/BX24-AHT/LCD80 test board - will the Rozetta be able to interface to the LCD80? Hope that was the name of the display I was using - I haven't opened it's box yet.

Reply to
JMJones

John,

I'm glad to see your post. I sent you an email a few days ago to the msm.com address you emailed me from in April. I haven't seen a response so wonder if your address has changed.

I have a fully assembled roZetta unit (sans ZX-40 & EM202 - my disability pension only goes so far) ready to send to you although I still have to assemble the adapters for a TW523 and controller. I was hoping you could test it with HomeVision when you get a chance. Your beta testing and suggestions for the BX24-AHT were invaluable.

I think you mean the LCD+ and I hope to support it but haven't yet looked at it in detail. Memory organization is going to have to be quite different than it was with the BX24-AHT as there are now multiple protocols that can be input and output instead of just X-10 RF and PLC as with the BX24-AHT. I'd like to also support something like the ezLCD-002 touchscreen but it all depends on how much EEPROM is left after the final firmware compile.

I will set up a web page for roZetta and associated modules in a week or so. I will probably set up another Yahoo mailing list for support. That takes less effort than trying to host forums on the web site. This time I'll retain control of it so I can block the SOB who deliberately disrupted the BX24-AHT list shortly after I got out of the hospital.

Does HomeVision have an external IR input? I've developed a module for direct RF input to the ADI controllers that should also work with almost anything that has an external IR input.

I do plan an >

Reply to
Dave Houston

Send me what you have. I'll make sure to include the information (and any appropriate links) in a "FAQ".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hi Dave,

Just spent 30 minutes composing an email to you and it appears I still don't have your email address correct. Please drop an email to snipped-for-privacy@zingo.net so I can contact you.

This is the major part of the email:

----------------------

I have a Homevision sitting on a table connected to a laptop just for tinkering - so I should be able to give RoZetta a run for it's money. I also have my Elk M1G up and running, but missing a lot of zones and some other items to be added in the future. The Elk can have up to 8 serial ports and can respond to/send ascii strings. I think this system will become very popular and I'm very interested in what RoZetta can do with it.

If you have an extra ZX-40 and or EM202 available and would install them for me I will send you payment now - just tell me how much, and give me your address again. I haven't read up on the RoZetta enough yet to be really familiar, but if the EM202 is only necessary for network connection - I would pass on that at least for now. I saw in one of your posts that the ZX-40 is around $30 now - that's pretty reasonable. I ran some cat5 around the house for network, but have installed a Linksys wireless router just this afternoon and hope to get it working with my laptop.

The Homevision (that I have) does NOT have IR input other than the receiver on the front of the unit. The newer HV Pro does have an external IR input jack - see link below:

formatting link
I have purchased the XTB-II from Jeff, but have not yet implemented it. I had my old ACT CR235 (IIRC) active coupler repeater and just obtained an ACT passive filter to use when I try the XTB-II.

I also have some GE/Caddx wireless transmitters sitting around somewhere if you would like I can ship one off to you for experimentation.

You're right - LCD+

The ezLCD-002 looks very interesting - and quite affordable.

I had a blue serial LCD I bought from Mr. Anderson which was connected to a serial port on my Homevision expansion module and which displayed information about daily high/low temps, furnace cycles and accumulated run time, etc. And, I was using HomevisionXL from a great fellow in the Netherlands which made Homevision a much better HA product. Of course all this stuff is all over the place now and I don't know how quickly I'm going to get it all back together.

Glad to hear my work with you on the BX24-AHT was helpful - I often felt I was more of a pain than a help (LOL)

John

Reply to
JMJones

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi Dave / John

Please keep us posted on your Homevision testing as im very interested in using Rozetta with Homevision....I have also had some UK users ask me what the Homevision / Rozetta combination will actually do ... i assume its used to convert protocols ..?? x10 to upb , etc ..????...Im hoping it can increase the number of devices Homevision can talk to .... Thanks Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Will do Frank.

Frank Mc Al> Hi Dave / John

>
Reply to
jmj1492

ROTFL.

Would Dave be referring to his son, who is the individual who had control of the yahoo group that Dave refers to and who wouldn't relinquish control to Dave? Who simultaneously also shut down the BX24-AHT retail side of the venture without warning or explanation?

Or might Dave be referring to ever-gentle, ever-helpful Peter H. Anderson who Dave so alienated by his attacks in the same yahoo group?

I'm surprised that Dave would bring this up. It is reminiscent of how the Commander-X software venture Dave hawked in this newsgroup melted down.

And the recent abrupt end to a publicly announced roZetta partnership follows an eerily similar trajectory.

.. Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Dave is diligently working away at software/firmware parts of the project right now. I have already received the hardware and look forward to begin testing shortly.

Marc_F_Hult wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

That's good news!

It's a project that will be helpful to those transitioning from X-10 that has been a long time in coming.

formatting link
I kinda thought that Neil Cherry would make it happen 6-7 years ago but he's been wondrously productive in other ways ;-)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Rosetta is real I saw it a 12 days ago in the British Museum...

Reply to
Steve

I don't know, I haven't felt very productive lately other than blowing up my servers. I've never killed so much hardware in one year. :-/

Right now I really need to get to work on the Insteon code. I currently have no HA systems running. Argh, the withdrawl is terrible.

I really need to get my butt in gear and get something done.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

One of life's first mind-blowing experiences for me. I was about to turn 15, and was walking down an aisle in the British when this 'thing' loomed in the way of the general pedestrian flow. Looked to see what it was ... and Yikes!

*Nobody* can read hieroglyphics, right? ... Ain't that kinda what "hieroglyphics" means? Suddenly them stories and tall tales 'they' rattled on about in books became believable. I remember it dawning on me that my father and grandfather were scholars of ancient Greek for whom the phrase "it's all Greek to me" meant that they could translate hieroglyphics !

A reminder of how much hard work is needed to really 'own' the tools needed to understand things deeply (like learning Latin to learn Greek to learn ancient Egyptian), and how easy it has become for folks to Google up a few factoids and pop off.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

... and the new, improved RoZetta can be seen sitting here on my desk.

Reply to
BruceR

I am hoping not to need one with the new house, not guaranteed, but it is my goal. However, should I need it, I am glad it will be be there.

BTW, The British museum was also limited time display called "Power and Taboo, Sacred Object from the Pacific" that was due to open in a few days after I was there. I assume it was with the cooperation of Bishop Museum, not the Kanaka Maoli.

Reply to
Steve

The developer of the Homeseer plug-in has released a new version of the plug-in for the also newly released INSTEON SmartHome Device Manager (SDM) and 2414x powerline controllers that cleans up many of the previous problems.

This was accomplished in part by not using the SDM except for the most basic communication --and at the cost of writing almost 10,000 lines of code.

Presumably you are planning to use Linux, so the SDM is not applicable except under WMWare, Wine or Ubuntu etc. How much functionality are you planning to (initially?) include in your code?

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

I'm going to take it in small steps. First control X10 (normal on, off, dim, bright, etc). Then start with simple Insteon (same basic stuff). Then I'll take on the device manager. One of the other gentle has come up with a loader. As far as the core code goes I'll work on that later (assembler and actual code).

Right now it's a toss up between using the device driver and the hid driver.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.