Rozetta... just a flash in the pan?

I haven't heard anything more about Rozetta here in a couple of months. Is this thing an actuality or just a pipe dream? I've been waiting for months to get one when they are released to the GP, and so far, I've seen nothing concrete except a few emails and list postings.

Clark Hensley

Reply to
Clark Hensley
Loading thread data ...

Clark,

Right now it's in between "actuality" & "pipe dream". I'm still working on it but have run into one brickwall after another (some of my own construction, some not). There were problems with how ZBasic addressed the software UART buffers which took a bit of time to iron out. There are ongoing problems with downloading firmware to the ZX chips. I had decided on Lantronix XPort as the optional network interface but then discovered it can only send email to a server on the local network.

I then designed another board to use NetMedia's Siteplayer Telnet module only to find the 4x6P4C connector I had planned to use is not readily available. Until about 10 days ago Mouser said it was on order and would be in stock by late June. They now say it's not stocked and has an 18 week leadtime.

So, I totally redesigned the board yet again to use a readily available

3x6P4C connector and am waiting for a batch to arrive from China - hopefully in 5-6 days.

The new board will use the Tibbo EM202 as the [optional] network interface. It's programmable in a Basic dialect and has no email restrictions (aside from any authentication issues that may vary from ISP to ISP). Initially, I plan to just use it as a serial server but it will be possible to program it for email, to connect to Internet Time Servers, and have a web server.

I'm still concerned about the ZBasic firmware download issue so have redesigned around the cheaper ZX-40 chip ($40 vs. $60) on the premise that people may be $20 less p*ssed at me should there still be problems.

There's also a dearth of software for linking/delinking Insteon devices. I had hoped to leave this to other software since the board will have very limited memory but it looks like I will have to incorporate it.

The new board also will have provisions for an internal RF (or IR) receiver module. I had to increase the board size because of the larger ZX-40 and larger EM2002 so there is space to fit these additional components.

Bottom l>I haven't heard anything more about Rozetta here in a couple of months. Is

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hey Dave,

Another Dave has done a really good job programming for Insteon so far. Dave Howard is the man behind PowerHome software.

formatting link
I'm not at liberty to elaborate, but IMHO you and Dave oughta get together on this. He has the tools. He has the skills. And he's a nice guy and willing to help.

Me too!

Additionally please add me to the list of people offering to help you beta test the Rozetta when the time comes.

I was the first to assemble an XTB from a kit, plus I'm an Insteon Developer, etc.

And a HA installer/reseller.

And I'll surely want to own and probably resell the Rozetta when it hits the street anyway!

Hows your health holding up?

Take care.

Sincerely,

Jack :)

P.S.

I would like your private e-mail address, if you would. Thanks!

Reply to
Jack Edin

It looks like PowerHome supports about 20% as much as Commander X did 6-7 years ago. ;) I've read mixed reviews. I don't think there's a fit.

Like everything I've done, roZetta is designed as a not-for-profit DIY project and it will be difficult for resellers to make enough to justify getting involved. I'm sure I'll never recover my out-of-pocket costs much less cover the time I'll have invested in it and that is desspite Bruce Robin's generosity (and patience) in providing me with Insteon and UPB modules.

Bare boards (3.000" x 4.250") will be available for about $8 and partially assembled ones (with all of the SMT components installed) for about $25. The ZX-40 retails for $40 and the EM202 for $63. Jeff Volp will probably offer kits and may offer assembled units but there are FCC issues he'll have to consider since it now has an optional RF receiver module.

My health is not go>Another Dave has done a really good job programming for Insteon so far.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I was thinking of a tiny utility used to transfer the Insteon Link database into Rozetta.

Dave is already helping another manufacturer with this type of thing.

My involvement is that of a beta tester.

And it works.

So in an effort to help you bring Rozetta to market sooner, I thought you and Dave could at least discuss the matter. He has an complete understanding of everything Insteon.

It may be something an installer would bring as the solution that it was designed to be. Profit or not, it sounds like a great product.

Thank you for all your efforts.

Your product will live on, keeping you in our collective memories forever!

Sounds good.

Glad to see you're working with Jeff. Love the XTB!

Then hang in there, Dave...

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin

Beethoven produced his masterwork, the Ninth Symphony while nearly totally deaf. I've got my fingers crossed for you . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

That's not the problem. Building & maintaining the link database within the

2414S is the problem. I'm just try>I was thinking of a tiny utility used to transfer the Insteon Link
Reply to
Dave Houston

I've always preferred the Fifth (or quart if it's single malt).

Reply to
Dave Houston

and full circle to an old joke punch line about being Bottom of the Ninth and the basses were loaded.

:)

Reply to
ken

A tourist in Vienna goes through a graveyard and all of a sudden he hears some music. No one is around, so he starts searching for the source. He finally locates the origin and finds it is coming from a grave with a headstone that reads: 'Ludwig van Beethoven 1770-1827.' Then he realizes that the music is the Ninth Symphony and it is being played backward! Puzzled, he leaves the graveyard and persuades a friend to return with him. By the time they arrive back at the grave, the music has changed. This time it is the Seventh Symphony but like the previous piece, it is being played backward. Curious, the men agree to consult a music scholar. When they return with the expert the Fifth Symphony is playing, again backward. The expert notices that the symphonies are being played in the reverse order in which they were composed, the 9th, then the 7th, then the 5th. By the next day the word has spread and a throng has gathered around the grave. They are all listening to the Second Symphony being played backward. Just then the graveyard's caretaker ambles up to the group. Someone in the group asks him if he has an explanation for the music. 'Don't you get it?' the caretaker says incredulously...He's decomposing.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.