Project for hotel security -- might be something for CHA gurus

I received a call from a hotelier this morning. He has an interesting problem which I thought I'd run by the newsgroup. The hotel has cameras in all the hallways to protect guests from intruders (or other guests?).

The cameras are monitored at a security desk. The problem is security people get bored staring at a monitor and may not be looking when something bad happens.

In a hotel hallway the sound level is usually quite low -- typically >30dB. They would like to install a system to detect audio above a threshold. They don't want to monitor or record conversations -- just activate a flashing light at the security desk if there is a scream or any noise above a given threshold in the hallways.

This should be simple enough. I don't happen to know of a ready-made hardware device that would work as the sensor. If any of you have done this or something similar I'd appreciate your suggestions, which I will pass along to the gentleman.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass
Loading thread data ...

If they are not looking at the monitor, the flashing light might not be seen. perhaps they should consider an audio alert.

Are you looking for just the detection device, or the entire system: detection, transmission (wire/less), and alert(light/sound)?

From my (very basic) electronics background, perhaps a piezo device used as a microphone could trigger a switch when it reaches a electrical threshold. shouldn't be a difficult circuit to build. probably more difficult to calibrate.

From an alarm world perspective, sounds like a modified glass breakage device.

Sorry, not really helpful, just brainstorming....

good luck

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Good call BruceR! I saw this in the magazine and have been dreaming of it. Best I will ever get is a veo on the barn roof!

Reply to
Woodsy

Robert, Check out the March issue of Wired Magazine. While it's probably more than the hotel wants to spend, there's an article about a product specifically designed to address the boredom factor. Here's a link to the article:

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

Thanks, gents. I'll pass it on to my client.

BTW, my vacation trip to Brazil last month got ruined by a medical emergency, followed by a bad case of the flu. To make things up to my sweetheart (and myself) I'm going back to Brazil this Friday (April 1, 2005) for 17 days.

If I can find time I'll try to post from Salvador now and then. Otherwise, see you all in 3 weeks. Tchau.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Being I am a Moron and know nothing try this on it will do what you want to do:

formatting link
There is a NEW one on Ebay Item # 5763437710

Reply to
Group Moderator

Congratulations (seriously), you've finally posted something useful. I note you've left the American Sailing Association (asa.com) and now proudly moderate an organization for which I'm sure you're well qualified.

Reply to
BruceR

Do a search for ACR or audio control relay. We have used these with with PA systems when there was a sound source that did not have an available trigger. Sound Design makes one, and I think there is another company who makes one also. It will not provide phantom power for a mic so use one that doesn't need it.

Bob La Londe

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On a recent hotel installation they are concerned about hotel security only for CCTV, and want to keep cameras as in obtrusive as possible so asto not give the impression of providing video coverage and protection for clients.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

He needs to upgrade the head-in and not add devices to every floor. He is wanting to add sound devices to each floor? How many would that be for proper coverage? Sound like a liabilty disaster to me. That might be fine, if it could be worked out, for some one that is being accosted, but what and how many more devices will he need to add for every other event that a camera is going to catch, ie: unauthorized room entry by staff, slip and falls, property damage, loitering, burglary on vending machines, trespassing, etc. He probably should consider a DVR configuration with event recording that will annuciate at the monitor as to which camera has an event. This will get the guards attention. Then add a covert camera at the security desk, which is not on the screen but being recorded, so that he knows what his guard is or isn't doing.

Bob4Secur

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Or perhaps both...

I haven't seen the structure. The gtentleman called and asked about hardware. The concept was his idea. I'm just looking for possible solutions.

For whom? I only sell hardware. If they decide to implement it this will be their own project.

His camera system is already recording. He just wants to add on something to get the guard's attention if there's a problem. It's an interesting problem. I might not even provide the components but I'd still like to help him find a solution.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Head-in first, see what that gives him, then decide if he needs to spend the extra money..

Concepts from the consumer are not necessarily what is best for the situation. I have heard of people actually wanting to install some sort of projectile at the window to shoot the intruder upon entry. Result of eating bad food before they go to bed at night, I would guess.

I'm just looking for possible

Of course

For who ever is involved if a plantiffs attorney chooses to invite everyone to the picnic.

Than don't get involved in actual design. Sell him what he asks for and be done with it. That way some attorney can't dub you as the designer, consultant, engineer, or what ever he may try to title you to draw you and your money into a case.

A good DVR, a Dedicated Micos for instance, with event recording will do that. It will send you an email, call your cell, send you a text message, send you a snap shot on your picture phone, has annuciation upon event, it does alot. But then again, if he just wants to get the guards attention, a cheap way out is to just fire his ass for not doing his job. That will get his attention!

It's an interesting

Good luck!

Bob4Secur

Reply to
Bob Worthy

University Sound not Sound Design. Sorry. I think the part number is an ACR-1. If I recall another company make sone too with the same part number, but it is not as good or have as many different inputs and features as the University Sound unit.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

DVR's alarm output, program it with the DVRs Motion Detection, so you can have anything happen you want to when there is motion in that area, eg. external buzzer, etc. Some DVRs have built in alarm buzzer also, even the cheapest 16 channel on the market.

Not everyone is able to scream, especially if they are being chocked or suffecated.

DM sucks by the way, if you are in the USA stay away from them, they are not worth their US price tag, look at alternatives, let me know if you need any ideas.

Rory

Robert L. Bass wrote:

interesting

Reply to
rory

Unless you run it on a schedule to only operate in the very quiet periods, any event be it a page, buzzer, full screen pop up etc that relies on motion in a Hotel corridor will likely be ignored by the security guards in a very short period of time if the thing trips every time a guest walks down the corridor to their room, the problem will be compounded if they have a dozen or more cameras with several seeing motion at the same time.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

More likely they've been watching too many Charles Bronson movies. :^)

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Hey, believe it or not, there is a company which designs a device that can project tasers, and even a propellant gas to knock out the intruders. A buddy of mine sent me the link once, and I thought he was FOS, unit I saw the unit. It's actually built in to a camera housing, and can rotate around for firing the deterrent. I'll try to find the link. They were looking to patent this device, and actually showed a video from a C-Store of it's operation.

Reply to
Jackcsg

DM sucks by the way, if you are in the USA stay away from them, they are not worth their US price tag, look at alternatives, let me know if you need any ideas.

Rory

Is it the price tag that makes them suck, Rory. I have over 100 installed and had to return only one (bad out of box). I have never had a customer complaint about the units. What has been your experience with them? They may be more expensive, but they are a proven company and a proven product that will be here in the future. Many products out there that are jumping on the bandwagon but the question is will they be here tomarrow? The internet if full of these products. The DM units aren't for the customer that just saw a

4 camera system, all in one box, at Costco for $399 is trying to see if someone can beat it. We have one application with five rack mounted 16 camera units and one additional as a backup. After seeing a live demo, they saw the value and didn't even blink at the price. We have had customers come to us specing DM. Obviously they saw it somewhere and knew that is what they wanted. If you have had negative experiences, please share. Nothing saying that with large volumn manufacturing, quality can slip.

Bob4Secur

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Reply to
J Baber

Hey, believe it or not, there is a company which designs a device that can project tasers, and even a propellant gas to knock out the intruders. A buddy of mine sent me the link once, and I thought he was FOS, unit I saw the unit. It's actually built in to a camera housing, and can rotate around for firing the deterrent. I'll try to find the link. They were looking to patent this device, and actually showed a video from a C-Store of it's operation............

Reply to
Jackcsg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.