Looking for examples of good and bad installs

I am putting together an article on workmanship and professional security installations. I am looking for photos of really great and really bad installations. I don't need to know the clients name or location, just looking for good examples of really bad and really good professional installs. You may email me direct with the photo attached. If the photo is over 2 meg in size please email to snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com.

If anybody has some good stories to tell about installs I am sure all would be interested to comment.

Thanks in advance.

Bobby D

Reply to
bdolph
Loading thread data ...

What's the article for??

I came across a job the other day (sorry, no pictures) where 110VAC was run right across the common control board of an old Pyrotronics CPC series fire alarm. It had originally been tied into the alarm relay normally closed terminals for the buildings door holders. The alarm company that has been doing the montoring there for the last three years needed the contacts for their equipment. They installed a 120VAC "ice cube" relay into the left bottom corner of the cabinet (next to the batteries), wired it to the input side of the FACP's transformer (major "no-no") and the alarm contacts (another major "no-no" as the relay contacts are rated at 60 VDC max). One side of the "ice cube" relay was used for the door holders, while the other provided the alarm input for their monitoring equipment.

We replaced their relay with a 24VDC unit powered from the panel's supervised aux power through the normally open contacts on the alarm relay, rerouted the door holder wires around the *outside* of the cabinet into the same knockout used for the system's AC power.

The electrican that installed the system must have had the manual available to properly terminate the field wiring but *missed* the power/current limitation on the alarm relay. Cerberus/Pyrotronics (the manufacturer)

*verified* the installation and *also* missed the improperly connected door holders, and the alarm company installer compounded this mistake by connecting 110VAC to the contacts *and* parallelling off the systems power transformer!

What is this world coming to??

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'd think that everyone is pretty gun shy about posting helpful installation hints in this group ..... anymore. Not that anyone would be looking for any kind of acclaim or glory ......

It's just that they don't like the fact that it will likely show up on Bass' web site ...... with his name on it.

Reply to
Jim

I have some here:

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

i posted one abt a month ago...gotta see if i still have the file.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

All the stories I hear all the time of bad workmanship in this newsgroup and nobody has snapped a digital of one? I'm surprised.

Anybody have what could be considered a super installation tip that they would like to share with the rest of the tech world? Let me know.

Bobby D

bdolph wrote:

Reply to
bdolph

Who can afford a digital camera? We all work for free.

Reply to
mikey

Ha ha ha ha..... Ouch, that hurts........ :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.