Household electrical current to Excel ???

You can pose those questions on the maplin web site. One of the ones I have free runs and samples every second and outputs a fixed baudrate ASCII string after each data capture. Others output in response to a single character input. If you set terminal echo on, /some/ models of the latter will take one of the echo characters as the trigger and just keep doing conversion after conversion. It doesn't seem to matter that it is getting many trigger characters that it doesn't use. I can't promise that this little klduge will always work though.

Thus the protocol is very, very simple and it would be a doddle to write your own software - assuming that you /can/ write software, that is! There are public domain libriaries/dll for Windows that make it easy to set up and utilise a serial port - although development envirnments like Delphi often already have them.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻meúÆ÷ón·ò-™¨¥r‰¢žö¥
Loading thread data ...

Here is a UK source for a multi-meter with an RS-232 port and data logging software:

formatting link
price (£96) is rather more than the similar items seen by Pete C though.

Reply to
Duncan McNiven

Much more attractive price!

Have you tried it? Does it pump out readings periodically or on demand? Is the protocol documented so you can write your own software?

Reply to
Duncan McNiven

The one thing I ran into, is a lot of their products are surface mount.

But I was able to 'SuperGlue' a 1/8 dowel underneath the 8 pin package and then solder some hairline strands to the legs. Ran the strands to some more conventional 22AWG, and wrapped the whole thing up in a layer of tape. Gives me a nice 'probe' about 3/16" diameter that I can poke into furnace ducts, strap onto hot-water pipe (with some foam pipe insulation around probe to help improve accuracy) or whereever. Even drilled small hole in sill-plate and stuck one through to get an 'outdoor' reading.

Although two of the units failed early because of my... (ahem...) soldering skill with SO packages (well, afterall I was using a 15w pencil iron to do SO, so what can you expect). But once I got things down pat, I've gotten 12 working units.

Had some old cat-5 scraps, and there was already a couple of cat-5 runs up to the attic area. Made for good wire to connect them all together. So now I have a linux box sitting in the basement 'logging' temperatures from all around the attic, basement, furnace.

Got some of their straight A/D converters from another hobby source. These came with the surface mount chip already mounted in a standard 8-pin dip plug. They only take 0-5V input, so I've been tinkering with some 'signal conditioner' circuits to attach a solar cell for measuring potential 'sun input' for different placements around the place.

Just a hobby, but interesting, keeps me off the streets. And my wife doesn't mind as long as there's no wires strung across the kitchen table ;-)

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

You might be quite interested by this:

formatting link
Which is what I have used for a similar reason to yours!

By fitting the sensor into a standard utp connector, wired to some of the "spare" cores, you can just plug them in where you fancy, moving them when you want, and connect out at the patch panel.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻meúÆ÷ón·ò-™¨¥r‰¢žö¥

Reply to
Dennis Mchenney

Reply to
Dennis Mchenney

Dave, That is a great device. It seems is very simple to use and install and has many "Predictable" functions such as what will the next electricity bill amount to. It seems like there is a European or non-U.S. version. This is wahat they say on the website...

The Electric Usage Monitor installs easily on the electric breaker panel (110/220V) box. Users simply install the unit, set the rate and press the reset button to start measuring electric consumption in kilowatt hours (kWh).

The Electric Usage Monitor is purchased primarily by homeowners, renters and apartment owners and by U.S. utility companies, electrical contractors, air conditioner contractors, and energy professionals. An international version also exists for clients outside of the U.S.

Declan

Reply to
Declan McEvoy

I wouldn't advocate using it with a shunt, but it ought to be easy enough to add a current transformer. To wind your own, determine the needed full-scale secondary voltage -- it will be millivolts at most -- and figure .25V/turn/in^2 of core. Make the turns ratio whatever you need. You can assemble the core around the mains conductor is a single primary turn will do (and it should).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

If you have access to surplus Radio Frequency meters of the type used on broadcast stations ( transmitter's site) and you can break your power line to insert a meter, open the meter's case and attach a couple of wires to the internal meter connections, after the thermocouple. The meter will display the r.m.s. current and will give you a dc connection to the outside Connect the 2 wires to a voltmeter with a serial output and you can display all the information you need and/or use excel for further manipulation.

Those meters are very precise and usually available from surplus places.

Advantages are that they measure r.m.s current, disadvantages are that they are very sensitive to overload. You apply twice the maximum current and the thermocouple is finished.

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Let me clarify some thing. The meters are very precise because the scale is printed to conform to the actual current. The dc output will not be linear . You may use excel to give you the same reading as the meter's scale.

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Here's a very interesting product capable of data logging and 220 VAC @50 hz and is cheap too. However it seems like it is designed to monitor one appliance only rather than Whole House.

formatting link
Declan

Reply to
Declan McEvoy

"daestrom" wrote in news:Oi4Re.53387 $ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

There are a variety of products that break SMT products into something easier to prototype. One produce is at

formatting link

Reply to
Scott Seidman

Reply to
Dave Houston

I think you are right Dave. The link you gave (

formatting link
) certainly does the business for a few dollars extra. Approx $200 It comes with split coils for an extra few dollars meaning the wiring does not have to be undone to get the coils on as the coils themselves split and can be re-assembled on the wiring.

Declan

Reply to
Declan McEvoy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.