240 to 120 Conversion ?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic. Has anyone had experience with this problem ? I'm planning on connecting a 120Vac 20 amp hot tub . I would like to connect it to a 240V 60 amp Airconditioning outlet . Can I connect the 120 V hot black lead to the 240 V hot black via a 20 amp breaker then I connect the 120V neutral white lead to the 240V red ground lead and connect the 120 V gnd green lead to the 240 V conduit

I will use a 20 amp breaker to protect the 20 amp outlet which is a GFI outlet.

any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
Steve Vorres
Loading thread data ...

I commend you for posting the question before forging ahead with your plan and please don't be offended, but it's obvious from your description that you don't know what you're doing and you don't understand how 120/240 is wired. My best advice to you is to be safe and hire an electrician. The black wire in the outlet is 120 volts and the red wire is 120 volts - NOT gorund! Measure with a meter if you have one. If the 240 volt outlet (if indeed that's what it is) has 3 prongs you have 120-120 and ground but NO NEUTRAL! Doing what you propose will not only burn out the motor but violate the electrical code. Since you'll be sitting IN A TUB OF WATER please ensure that the job is done to code and don't take chances. Again, I mean no offense and hope you'll take this advice to heart.

Reply to
brobin

Make sure your fire insurance premium is paid in full....since you are asking for more than a hot tub...you are going to have a raging HOT house.....or had one!

Hire a licensed electrician. They KNOW what they are doing.

Reply to
Ida Slapter

That is one of the best answers I have seen.

It is possible. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it. Screwing it up is easy if you don't know what you are doing. Screwing it up can kill.

The original post indicates that the poster is far from the knowledge needed to do it, even if water was not involved.

Water and electricity need special considerations to keep people safe.

This is something that I could do easily. This is something that I could lead someone through it with a lot of conversations and the ability to see (in person) what they are doing periodically. There is no way to lead someone through this via e-mail.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Same opinion, different person... You can get from that outlet to run your hot tub, but don't even think about doing it yourself. The tub of water is key, because if you screw up, someone can die. And there are lots of ways to screw this up, some of which you'd never imagine.

Don't take the chance...hire a pro for this job. It will be worth every penny to know your family is safe.

John O

Reply to
John O

As almost everyone who posts here knows, I'm a fairly strong advocate for DIY. However, in this case I concur. While I might be able to guide the OP through this, I'd rather not due to the serious danger of electrocution. The potential financial savings of a hundred or three dollars isn't worth the potential loss of a life.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA A fairly stong advocate for DIY??? might that be because THEY FEED YOU? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, D'uh. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply to
mikey

Would you not consider yourself an advocate for professionally installed systems? Of course, in your haste to flame yo seem to have missed the point of my post which was that the OP ought to consider hiring a pro for this job.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

flame? whaaaaaa? you can't laugh at yourself? I thought what you said was hilarious. I'm a fairly strong advocate of anyone who uses my services too.

Reply to
mikey

OK.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.