high voltage home runs?

GE low voltage, Despard, and Watchkeeper all use low voltage switches to relays and then line voltage out to the circuits/fixtures. The GE RR-7 and RR-9 relays are almost bullet proof. And require no power except to change state. NOT CHEAP>>>>

There used to be a modular wiring system for layin lights that had the relays attached to the back of the fixtures. You would run Low voltage wire from them to the switches. Only problem was you needed to install a separate low voltage transformer for the source. I installed one of these in a strip mall and ended bastardizing it to keep it working.

Low voltage wiring has never been inexpensive. IE saving money. It is usually installed because of the ease of control.

Check out WatchKeeper panels. I have used them in several commercial jobs that control was an issue. They can come will all the computer bells and whistles/networked or just run on their own.

Reply to
SQLit
Loading thread data ...

Sure. CentraLite is one such system and it's an excellent choice. It really needs to be installed during construction.

It's not much more labor intensive than conventional wiring. On a mid-sized (say, 3-4000 sf) home you might need one or two additional days for the prewire.

Absolutely. Obviously these systems are not intended for retrofit jobs and most are not for the DIYer. But major integrators often consider this approach. It offers certain advantages over ALC type wiring schemes. For one thing all of the processing is centralized. You can use standard receptacles rather than $100+ per unit controlled outlets. Control cabling, typically CAT5 is run only to the room controllers which don't have to be "intelligent" devices. The smarts are in the main unit.

It's also easy and relatively inexpensive to upgrade such a system compared to something like RadioRA if you become disenchanted with the manufacturer or when -- not if -- they drop support for the system later.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I'm reading a contribution to my project from an author who claims there are lighting controller devices that require 120 VAC runs between the controller and each controlled light circuit.

At a glance, this seems like a helluva lot of work, a crazy way to wire a house, and outrageously expensive. Would such a system ever be built these days? Did such systems ever exist?

-John O

Reply to
John O

For an example of current systems see

formatting link
(There are others.) There are centralized panels with relays that control the high voltage. High voltage loads are home run to the panel. Low voltage controls also are home run to the panel.

GE was doing this at least 50 years ago.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Although Centralite is cheaper, other manufacturers such as Lutron, Vantage and LiteTouch make systems that are wired similarly.

I have the Lutron HomeWorks system installed in my house. I think in the end, the wiring becomes a wash. Even though there are a lot of homeruns of Romex, you don't have to wire 3-ways, 4-ways, etc.

Robert mentions that all the processing is done centrally, which is true in all these systems. The one thing that you need to be aware of is having some way of overriding the system.

For example, in the Lutron system in the event that the house gets hit by lightning and the processor goes out, I still have an override switch to turn lights on.

The biggest benefit of having a system like this with all the lights homerun back to a dimming panel is that it elminates the wall clutter that traditional switches would create. Instead of having switches all over the walls, I just have single-gang keypads.

Regards, Charlie

John O wrote:

Reply to
Charlie Derk

Good points, Charlie. You might also want to note that these systems -- Lutron, CentraLite, etc. -- also have RS232 or better connectivity for integration with whatever HA controller you might want to use. The well-established brands are also supported by many hardware and software HA suppliers so integration isn't such a fuss.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I have one of those, or something like it, in my house now. 24 VAC everywhere, but 120 VAC only at the relay-controlled lights and a few outlets. I even have a master controller in the bedroom. (SQLit, you described this systemIt's a PITA, actually. I wish I could replace the wall switches...momentary DPST, and a wierd shape so I can't even mess with nice wall plates. PITA, is what it is. :-)

Centralite looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the info, Bob and Dave. I have a much better handle on this now. I was imagining NM wire running like Cat5 back and forth all over the place...what a mess.

-John

Reply to
John O

OK, that sounds better than what I was imagining. Thanks.

-John O

Reply to
John O

I actually did this 15-20 years ago, using latching relays and low voltage SP/DT momentary switches. What I have been looking for is an upgrade path. I am adding several circuits to my system during a major remodel of the house, and I can still get the same relays I have been using, although the price has certianly gone up. I am looking for a DIY friendly company that has something like CentraLite's products that doesn't cost an arm and a let to install. I have already run the wires both HV and LV and am very capable of installing such a system, but the places I have talked to want to totaly replace my wiring, some of which is brand new and never been hooked up, and they want 2-3% of the cost of the house to install their system.

Does anyone know if such a company and product exist?

TIA.

Reply to
os2guy_in_kc

As I began to read your post I was thinking of suggesting CentraLite. Obviously, you have already considered them. Their products are IMO reasonably priced. From the tech info I've seen so far, they're apparently no more difficult to install than any breaker panel once you have home run the circuits.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:31:32 -0400, "Robert L. Bass" wrote: Perhaps I didn't find the right CentraLite stuff, I found a price list for their "elegance" line that starts about $6k for 24 loads or about $250 per load, which is a bit steep for what I'm looking for.

Reply to
os2guy_in_kc

If you have a moment, please check out

formatting link
we are definitely DIY friendly and allow you full access to add your own equipment

Reply to
Steve Letkeman

Hi, Steve!

Just checked out your site and have some questions. Are these units UL listed? Are the hubs standard ethernet COTS components or are they specially modified for your lighting system?

Thanks,

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

At this point because we create a number of unique panels and also customize them for our customers we have each panel field certified. This certifies it for sale and use within North America. The lighting system is based on Controller Area Network (CAN) instead of ethernet. A simple CAN node can be built and added to the network with only a few lines of code to make it operational if you want to create your own add-ons. That is not to say you couldn't do the same with ethernet but I prefer CAN!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Letkeman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.