Electric Outlet Control Via LAN

I'd like to be able to control a powerstrip over my network. I currently have an X10 outlet with remote control that will switch a plug on or off, but I would prefer to have this signal go over my LAN to a computer in the basement, which then would control a powerstrip via a USB connection. Not sure if anything like this exists, so that is why I am posting here.

The actual application is that I have several routers in the basement, and I'd like to be able to power cycle them via a network command from upstairs. I know I can send software reboot commands to routers via a browser interface, but occasionally I'd like to be able to simply power them off. Plus, sometimes I need to power cycle the cable modem.

A powerstrip with a USB connection that allowed me independent control over each outlet would be a nice solution to the problem. I wonder if the market would have much demand for something like this and what its price point might be. I could use Windows Task Manager to set a schedule for when each outlet turned on or off.

Reply to
EdwardATeller
Loading thread data ...

Network control of power at ?

Also some UPS and their software are able to trigger the relays > I'd like to be able to control a powerstrip over my network. I

Reply to
David White

I have one of these that is controlled via a RS232 link. It's a neat widget that never really saw any service. Its watchdog timer mode is useful to force an auto-reboot of a locked up device.

formatting link
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Thanks, Jeff. That looks like a nice device, but chances are it's probably out of the budget for this application.

Reply to
EdwardATeller

Looking at the prices makes me think a few more X10 switches make the most sense for this application. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
EdwardATeller

There's a similar one on eBay now at a bargain price #320089490139.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Here is another product for controlling outlets...

The cost is pretty reasonable .. under $100. I've bought other products from the company before.

formatting link
D Heidner

Reply to
Dennis

This uses SCRs to control outlets using the parallel port. His VB6 program turns them all off when a screen saver kicks in so you'd have to write your own control software.

formatting link
This one uses the serial port to control a single outlet using a relay. The code is in perl so may be more easily modifiable but since it uses just the DTR line you may be limited to one outlet per serial port.

formatting link

Reply to
Gerald

If the computer in the basement has a serial port, then get an x10 "firecracker" controller. I've found two command line applications that will operate it like below. Put apache on the computer and then run the command line applications via web page and cgi. I did this some time back and it worked quite well (and the price is affordable).

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

That's a good price, but there is another bidder. What's the approximate value of something like this? Looks like I'd also have to get a standard DB-9 to DB-25 cable.

Still would like to have a plug and play USB solution...

Also, thanks to all the other posters with their very interesting suggestions. This group is a great resource, and I really appreciate all the help I've received over the years.

Reply to
EdwardATeller

That bid popped up a few hours after my post, and I thought it was you...

As I recall, the Pulizzi IPC3100 originally listed for around $300, but they have sold on eBay for much less. Last year there were a couple listed for $80. It is a rugged industrial quality unit, not cheap plastic commercial crap.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

It sold for $7.50. With $14.42 shipping that's $21.92, plus I would have had to buy a cable. Starts to be about the same price as a X10 remote outlet with keychain remote, which is what I use now. Impossible to tell what the winning bidder's max bid was, so I am comfortable letting this one go. Someone got a bargain.

I think I'll just give X10 some more business. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
EdwardATeller

Another option is this device which allows remote control of an outlet via LAN.... their price is about $80 about $10 less than the corpsys product. Corpsys has eight switched outlets and you can sequence them to come on with a single LAN command. The one on the geeks site has four outlets. But it also supports more features like snmp.

My switch box from corpsys came last week I haven't had time to try it. Biggest disadvantage to it that I can see so far is that it big... designed so you can put flanges on it and rack it up.

formatting link
a.. IP Power 9258T Network AC Power Controller

a.. General Features: a.. Stylish compact design a.. Built in web server, can be used through the Ethernet or Internet network a.. Support multiple Internet browsers a.. Control four (4) AC outlets at one time a.. Supports HTTP, SMTP, SNMP, Internet-fixed IP, DHCP, LAN - virtual IP a.. Supports security passwords, easily installed and can be updated online a.. Support for serial port communication a.. LED lights indicate the status of each switch a.. Safe design for high voltage resistance and protection of electrical fire using nonflammable materials a.. You can remotely reboot sever or PC a.. Timer schedule feature allows you to per-set reboot or shut down times a.. Supports network time protocol

a.. Connections: a.. Serial port a.. Ethernet port a.. One (1) power in a.. Four (4) power out ports

Reply to
Dennis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.