Does anyone use Easy-to-use pdf to word?

Does anyone use this

formatting link
For only $11.95 they sound like a good deal, but does it make good results?

Reply to
Ted Schoenle
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
BruceR

Many time I need to display information from a manufacturer's data sheets in my website. I just cut & paste text directly from PDF's to HTML. No special software is required.

Indeed it was.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If you are going to repost spam for the person, at least you could delete his ad.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

What SPAM are you talking about? I asked for comments.

Really? Have you tried to cut & paste images and other pdf elements?

Reply to
Ted Schoenle

Yes you did. Cute.

Reply to
BruceR

The SPAM you posted. Spending a lot of time in the Ukraine or do you mostly hang out in South Jersey?

Yes. It's a standard capability of Adobe 7. I do it every day as I create HTML product pages for my website. It's really quite simple and requires no special software.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Your message had the strong smell of spam. It is common for them to send out a single line with a url, saying it looks good and asking what do people think.

However, they never hang around to reply.

I use DocuPrinter

formatting link
They have a free trial version and paid versions with different capabilities.

It works quite well and has some adjustments for picture quality that can significantly affect the size of the finished files.

If you only need to do a couple items, Adobe has a service that will do a few files for free.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

"Ted Schoenle" wrote i...

Big DUH on my part. I was paying attention to it looking like spam and got the direction backwards.

I would e-mail them with a sample document and see if they will run it. Going backwards is difficult, I have to do that occasionally with documents where the source file was not vaulted (saved in a document system) along with the PDF that everyone sees.

Acrobat Pro (BIG bucks, I have it at work) has that feature but it can take a lot of editing to put things back together properly if the PDF was created with columns or tables. The information is all there but it is not brought back in the proper locations on the page or sometimes even in the "right" order.

Since I don't have to do very many of these legacy documents, we have not looked very hard at other software.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

I assume that you have done this minimally. It works OK for individual pictures or single blocks of text but when you have columns or tables, the pasted text tends to be broken into little bits that are grossly out of order.

Text in columns likes to come in as: line from column 1, line from column 2, line from column 3, repeating until the text is complete.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

I'm curious as to the free programs that work well in either direction (other software -> PDF or PDF -> other software). I have not seen a "from PDF" package for free other than hacking together a group of UNIX programs. I have not seen a "to PDF" package for free that does not limit the size to uselessness or stamp the PDF with their advertising.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Most of the time that's all I need. However, there's also a function which allows you to extract all images from a PDF document in a single pass. I've used that once or twice but I generally don't need it.

That depends on how and when the PDF was created. Some coumnar text, especially that created using the latest few versions of Adobe's PDF writer comes out perfectly. Older files are just as you say -- a royal pain.

I have thousands of HTML product pages which I've created using extracted text and images from PDF docs. Unfortunately, many manufacturers use these documents exclusively instead of HTML for their product descriptions.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Here, too. However, I use it primarily for creating -- not deconstructing -- PDF files.

I've found the easiest way to do that is to move cut & paste the tables into a

*.txt file. That gets massaged and imported into an Excel spreadsheet. I do this with PDF price updates from distributors of which I receive several each week. There can be anywhere from a few score to several thousand SKU's on these documents so it was necessary to automate the process. I've gotten it wdown to a sort of science. I can now import prices and generate brief product data from companies like GE (4000+ SKUs) in a matter of minutes.

locations on the page or

That is due to the manner in which PDF's handle page control elements. If you can hack that you'll have an accurate means of converting the files back to source docs. You'll also get very rich. You'll also probably wind up fighting Adobe's lawyers (even if you're in the right).

If it's any good, I might use it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

OpenOffice.org Reads most Microsoft Office files (and more) and provides "export to PDF" functionality.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.