d-day

There are many fixtures that would not accept the older CFLs without some modification. You may remember the hoop extenders that were included with some of the early CFLs. Most of today's commodity CFLs are physically much smaller with bases similar in size to equivalent incandescent bulbs.

Low power factor results from a capacitor-input power supply that is only drawing current near the peak of the waveform (which also happens to be away from where X10 signals are transmitted). The small bases used in today's CFLs make it impossible to squeeze in the 175V+ electrolytic capacitor required for direct line rectification. So these newer units use a switching pre-regulator on the raw rectified AC input. That pre-regulator runs essentially over the entire waveform, resulting in a much higher power factor (and also noise radiated in the X10 transmission window).

I'm amazed how cheap semiconductors have become. It may very well be cheaper to use a switching pre-regulator than the large high-voltage electrolytic capacitor needed for direct line rectification. The XTB filter capacitor costs almost twice as much as the high power MOSFET used in the transmitter output stage. It wouldn't surprise me that the pre-regulator design actually costs less. And the smaller physical size means a larger potential market for these commodity CFLs.

Jeff

(other stuff snipped)

Reply to
Jeff Volp
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston
22% sounds optimistic, but there is no doubt CFL is the future (actualy present in almost all EU).

Uzytkownik "Dave Houston" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.fuse.net...

Reply to
Ghost
3rd harmonics are the problem from CFLs and HID lighting, now.
Reply to
John J. Bengii

Your snide comments directed at Marc don't exactly give you the "high ground" here. Also, if you wish to direct comments to one person use email. This is Usenet -- an open discussion format where all comments are directed to all participants. IOW, you don't get to decide who is involved in a thread.

His post was rightly directed at any and all who read this newsgroup. I know Marc and I can assure you he's not the one who qualifies as OCD here.

You;re welcome.

So can most here. However, in the absence of Marc's informative post, readers might have been misled by Mr. Houston's comments. You are free to draw whatever conclusions you feel comfortable with from that and from what I've said as well.

Perhaps, but IME Usenet trolls are mostly untreatable. I do wish you the best though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No, Dave. No one has tried to distort what you've written. It was you who misrepresented what you found on the Web. Marc explained where you erred.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

don't bother with the bAss from Sarasota...

I've yet to see an honest post by him..

"John J. Bengii" a écrit dans le message de news: jZqdnU_LUve9F_PanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@golden.net...

Reply to
Petem

Thanx for your kind blessing.

We don't need it.

Perhaps you would care to discuss the matter at hand "home automation" and not your preschool emotional issues.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Ah... It would be very nice if you followed your own advice.

Reply to
Frank Olson

You're most welcome.

Who is this "we"? In Usenet you don't speak for anyone but yourself and the various aliases you use to appear as more than one person.

We were discussing the matter at hand. Nice try though. Care to play again?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It would be really nice if you'd follow your own advice...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Who cares? X10?

U¿ytkownik "John J. Bengii" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:Scednd7Noa8Ob_PanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@golden.net...

Reply to
Ghost

GE and others are planning improvements to incandescents that will meet or exceed the new efficiency standards. GE has said they expect to reach the same efficiency as CFLs in a few years. I think the NYT article I cited touched on that.

There is also rapid progress with LEDs. There's been a doubling of effiency every couple of years (similar to Moore's law for semiconductors). If that continues, they will undoubtedly garner a large market share since they essentially last forever. They are already widely used in traffic lights, commercial signage, etc. There are still problems with the color temperature as far as use where color temperature is important. Harsh white is possible but soft and cuddly is still to be developed.

So, I think your "no doubt CFL is the future" is overly optimistic. Europe has had much higher energy costs so they've always done things differently. I haven't been to Europe in many years but still recall the timer switches on the hall lights in a small hotel I often stayed at in the Loire valley

25-30 years ago. The timer barely gave enough time to transit the hallway.

What has the Eur>22% sounds optimistic, but there is no doubt CFL is the future (actualy

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Yeap, I saw new incandescents (osram) - still far, far behind CFL. I don't agree that incandescents ever be good as CFL (just physics laws). When LEDs will be ready, probably replace CFL (long way). For now we (you - we already done this) have replacements incandescents by CFL. I don't know what are you talking about "premature failures" - I and my family, my neighbours, just everybody I know - we all use CFLs for years. During last eight years I have changed only two of them (unusual toroid shaped both). In new hause I'm using HA driven by microlan - there is no side effects from CFLs.

Uzytkownik "Dave Houston" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.fuse.net...

Reply to
Ghost

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

"This could raise the efficiency of an incandescent electric bulb from 5 percent to greater than 60 percent. "

Yeap, five years passed and still nothing, what a pity. Tell me about UFO.

Reply to
Ghost

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Very interesting - are you telling me that in US there is no mandatory limits?

Reply to
Ghost

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

So much for your belief in the laws of physics. You dismiss what you disagree with it as Science Fiction. I see we're not going to have a serious discussion based on facts so I won't waste further time with you.

Few th>"This could raise the efficiency of an incandescent electric bulb from 5

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.