X10 programming from PC

Hi,

I'm trying to control an X10 system through a CM12U (similar to CM11) via the serial port, using my own software.

I know the software is correctly talking to the serial port (because I tried it with a modem), but I'm having difficulty communicating with the CM12. What I'm sending is 0x04 (Header) then 0x5E (to address unit G2) but I can't get a Checksum back from the CM12.

Any thoughts? One thing I noticed in the "Interface Communication Protocol" document at the end of section 3.1 is "This format is typical of all transmissions between the PC and the interface with the difference being in the first transmission from the PC." - but I couldn't find anything about __what__ is different about the first transmission.

TIA, Geordie

Reply to
Geordie
Loading thread data ...

The first possibility that comes to mind is that the CM12 might be DTE, not DCE, and your cabling is wrong.

Try adding a null-modem.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Hi Robert, Thanks for responding. I know from bitter experience that transposing DTE and DCE can be a PITA to resolve, but I don't believe that's the problem - my software communicates with a modem ok and, though I didn't mention it, the CM12 responds to the ActiveHome software on the same port/cable. Regards, Geordie

Reply to
Geordie

Are you sending the two bytes in one transmission? Sending separately usually doesn't work.

Try sending the single byte 0xEB and you should get the same byte echoed back.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Hi,

Thanks to all for your suggestions - as it happens, the immediate problem lay elsewhere, but they're worth knowing about as I develop my code.

My starting point in all of this was that my X-10 system was getting unreliable, and got worse when I upgraded the controlling PC to XP - I put the problems down to the ActiveHome software, so decided to write my own. After thinking about the posted suggestions, and trying a few other things out, I tried out Test Communications on ActiveHome's Tools menu - no response from the CM12. Replaced the CM12 and everything works again!

That still leaves me disillusioned with the ActiveHome software - given that the CM11/12 sends a checksum in response to each commend, why on earth doesn't ActiveHome verify this and let the user know if there's a problem??? I'll continue with my own software, but without so much pressure!

Thanks again for the pointers, Geordie

Reply to
Geordie

I'm new to home automation. I know about X-10. You can use a PC, Windows or Linux to control x-10? What hardware do you use to do this? What software? Do you leave the PC on 24-7?

Come Join:

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

Geordie wrote:

Reply to
frank.agee

In my experience the CM11/12 is the most unreliable piece of junk you can buy. I've been using ActiveHome recently, like Geordie, and have found that after a few downloads of "timers and macros" the CM11 just stops responding. There are clearly problems with the software in the CM11/12, and it's appalling that the manufacturers haven't fixed it after all these years.

However, if you unplug it, remove the batteries and wait, refit the batteries, plug it in and start again it works again. Obviously a software lockup.

My suggestion to Geordie is to do that, rather than replacing the unit, when it goes wrong next time (which it surely will).

Incidentally, I'm pretty unhappy with ActiveHome. It's a 16-bit application which hasn't been updated in years, and has a very clunky look and feel to it. I tried Harmony, but it looks like it's been put together by someone who's just learned Visual Basic so, like Geordie, I also will be writing my own control program.

Geordie, what programming language/environment are you using? I was gonna use Delphi, with which I'm reasonably familiar.

Thack

Reply to
Staiger

Who makes these CM11 and CM12U devices?

Using a PC to control x-10? Wouldn't you rather have some diskless, fanless, microsoftless box, made to be on 24/7, that won't tie down your PC? Wouldn't that be nicer?

Come Jo> "Geordie"wrote:

Reply to
frank.agee

My cm15a has been solid as a rock for over a year. But here's the real background.

I do not use activehome, and have nothing loaded to the cm15a. Everything is driven from a Linux app. The App sees all that's happening, and drives events to the cm15a. As a "dumb" USB device, it's been pretty good.

The Linux box happens to also be my web server, so it's on 24/7 - and has disks and fans.. Last boot was over a month ago, and that was because I was painting the office, and had to unplug it! Before that, IIRC, it had been up for almost 100 days, and that boot was due to an update to the kernel..

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AZ Woody

Too right! But I'm not talking about my PC being up and running all the time. At the moment I just fire up ActiveHome when I want to change the timings on my various lights and appliances. Then I download the data to the CM11 and let it get on with it.

HOWEVER - because the damn CM11 seems to be inherently unreliable in that mode (i.e. running downloaded timings and macros) the obvious solution is to operate it in "dumb" mode as a signalling converter, and let another computer do the controlling.

I wouldn't use a PC, though, unless it was up and running all the time for some other purpose, like AZ Woody's.

I have thought about implementing my own PIC-based solution to take over the "smarts" of the CM11, just using the CM11 as a signalling converter.

Has anyone else done this already? Or can I buy something like it?

Thack

Reply to
Staiger

"Staiger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

See JDS Technologies

formatting link
I am not affiliated with this company, just a satisfied customer. I used a TimeCommander (predecessor to their current products) for many years. It gets connected to a PC for programming, then can be disconnected from the PC. Their Stargate products work similarly but have more features.

The TimeCommander performs operations based on time and based on X-10 traffic that it sees on the power line. It knows the date and the time (and sunset/sunrise), has timers, and has logic like If-then-else. It has test features, and can log what it does (readable from a PC). It also has battery backup for its clock/calendar, and can be programmed to take appropriate actions when power is restored after a poer failure.

I used my TimeCommander for many years to control my swimming pool and some minor functions in my house. I gave it up only because I have quit X-10. The TimeCommander worked fine. The programming software had some minor flaws but was quite nice. The programming software worked on Windows 95 as well as on Windows ME. I don't know whether it would work on Windows NT / 2000 / XP.

Reply to
Ian Shef

One thing that convinced me my CM12 was beyond hope, was that it didn't get warm in the right places (around the transformer). I had effectively already done a cold-start when I tried replacing the batteries without effect.

After I replaced the unit, I opened it up. The build quality reminded me

1960's transistor radios - the first ones, just after they stopped using miniature valves. Paper-based PCB, globs of solder and globs of rubber cement (do I really want something like this connected to the househuld wiring?). This was a serial-port version - I don't know whether the replacement USB versions are any better.

My software is on the back burner now that the system is running again (and, when the h/w is so flaky, do I really want to spend time writing s/w for it?). I'm using C++Builder - I like Borland's language products but prefer C(++) to Pascal.

Cheers, Geordie

Reply to
Geordie

Who makes these CM11 and CM12 units? Do other people make such?

Have you read Finux Smart Homes for Dummies, by Neil Cherry?

Come Join:

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

Geordie wrote:

Reply to
frank.agee

It's "Linux" and not "Finux", and Neil posts here quite often.

The CM11/12 is made by X10, but there are other things like it available from other vendors....

Why join a google group, when the author is here on usenet?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AZ Woody

Niel? Do you mean Neil Cherry? I have his book right here. Looks like there is also a CM17.

Anyone using HomePlug for home automation? They say it can also speak to X-10.

I hadn't realized there was a culture chasm between usenets and google groups.

I started a google group because I'm familiar with them, and its available and free.

You can communicate with it by just email. But you have some extra abilities if you register with google and do it from there.

I'll try and add you now. You can unsubscribe yourself real easy if you don't like it.

If you register with google, you can stay > It's "Linux" and not "Finux", and Neil posts here quite often.

Reply to
frank.agee

AZ Woody, looks like I can't add you because I can't get your complete email address.

Why d> Niel? Do you mean Neil Cherry? I have his book right here. Looks

Reply to
frank.agee

Had me confused! :-) I'll be posting more often since I've finished the book.

Frank, I know you are trying to drive up your membership but I don't think HA really fits well with a realtime control group. That's too specific and we're mostly using whatever the vendors are selling.

Geordie:

I'm not sure what to replace the CM11/CM12 with. I'm moving forward with the Insteon technology because it is compatible with X10 (the controller can control both). Recently some folks in the Linux community got a driver for ZWave (RF) and another is working on UPB. I don't think ZWave by itself will be a winner but mixed with Insteon or UPB the combination could prove worthwhile

BTW, I probably have most of the X10 controllers here somewhere. I just haven't had time to work with every one of them.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

"Finux" had me flummuxed. ;)

Reply to
Dave Houston

What is Zwave?

And I still invite you all to my group. Since it is new, it is quite flexible.

Reply to
frank.agee

Why a new group to discuss something that's already being discussed else ware? Seems that that's only a way to make the world more complicated to find out info!

Reply to
AZ Woody

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.