CM15A with Linux

Hello all. I am new to home automation and this group. I just bought the X10 starter kit and of course it seems that it's too new to work with Linux.

I have seen all the information on the web about this problem. I just can't tell if anyone is activly working on a solution or not.

My goal is to get the device working with MisterHome.

I would be willing to help in an effort to get this working if need be.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

See homeauto dot usandthem dot com.

I have an (old) sample app there that runs on linux, using libusb to talk to the cm15a. Also, much of the protocol is documented.

My full blown app was originally written for 1-wire and includes a full scripting language and has been running in "production" for months - with close to 100 configured events

It doesn't allow downloading events to the cm15a, but will try to make sense of events that were download by AHP.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Okay, I'll give that a try soon. It looks like a command line program. Which could be great for hooking up with MisterHouse. (I think)

BTW: I mistakenly said MisterHome instead of MisterHouse above

formatting link

Reply to
Paul

It seems that heyu2 doesn't support CM15A either... Am I wrong?

They seem to only support CM11A and CM12A

Reply to
Paul

When I run this as root I get: USB Interface error at 254: 116

06/02 19:42:12 NO Access to CM15A for X10 06/02 19:42:12 X10 Devices Loaded

Available Keyboard Commands: l - List Devices and Status q - quit

When I try little 'L' I get nothing. I have 3 devices connected. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Paul

Do you have libusb installed? If so, which version? What kernel are you running with?

Reply to
AZ Woody

Besides MisterHouse, there is heyu2. For simple tinkering around it works just fine.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

I guess so... it linked. I'll have to check the version when I go home. Fedora Core 3 : Kernel 2.6.18 (I think)

Reply to
Paul

You are probably right, sorry for the red herring.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

The error is from trying to call usb_set_altinterface() reported at line 254 in libusbahp.c.

It might be a different version of libusb (I use 0.1.8), or it could be a kernel difference (I run redhat with 2.4).

Let me know the version of libusb and I'll see if that's the problem.

Reply to
AZ Woody

I downloaded and installed libusb 0.1.10a (the newest) and it seems to be running fine, so I suspect a difference in the kernel. I've got a machine I can upgrade to 2.6, but it wont be available for a few days.

Reply to
AZ Woody

It runs from the cmd line, but there are no cmd line arguments.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Thanks Woody.

Linux mainpc 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

libusb-0.1.8-3

FYI: I am having some limited success with Neil Cherry's code. It uses it's own driver though. So unfortunatly, I am beginning work on my own daemon.

Reply to
Paul

If you haven't looked at heyu (it's currently in Beta as heyu ver 2.0 and no longer "heyu2") recently, take another peek. It has a lot more utility than just for "simple tinkering around". But it's only for the CM11A, not the CM15A.

formatting link
Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.