Problem with CM11

I have one of those infamous CM11s. Once I figured what works and what doesn't, it has been working pretty well for about a year. A few days ago I noticed that none of the events that typically happen around dusk, were not happening. So, I launched the software on the PC ... it couldn't communicate. I unplugged the CM11 and removed the batteries. I then put the batteries back and plugged it back in. I still couldn't communicate with it. Here's the strange thing, it started working again and has been working ever since. But, I still cannot talk to it with the PC. I would have expected that disconnecting the unit and removing the batteries would have cleared the CM11. Maybe I didn't leave the batteries out for a long enough period. Any ideas?

Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

I had the same problem as you. Must leave the batteries out for 10 minutes or more. Over the last couple of years, the situation did get more frequent until the CM11 wouldn't work more than a day or two before going dysfunctional again. Now I have a SmartHome 1132CUP. Works great. Rock solid. Don't waste your money on X10 and ActiveHomePro.

Reply to
RF Dude

Did completely resetting the CM11 fix the communications problem with the serial port? I would do that if I knew I might have a chance at still using the thing. If the chance is near zero, I'll order an

1132CUP and let the CM11 al> I had the same problem as you. Must leave the batteries out for 10 minutes
Reply to
Art Todesco

Yes, after 10 minutes without power, then restoring battery and AC power, I was again able to communicate with the CM11. Tell it the time again, and it would work fine for a day. Then it might go flakey and I would be unable to communicate with it. Darn thing would still seem to issue X10 commands sometimes, but no more serial communication.

It might be that I have some noise issues in the house. I bought into the Smarthome big, with a KeypadLinc, SwitchLinc, active phase coupler/repeater, and the 1132CUP. Also bought some filters to attack the noise issue. The phase coupler would indicate noise (red lights would flash sometimes). Found my SONY TV was one source, and some computer equipment also. But the

1132CUP never halted, locked up, or failed to follow it's programming.

Probably a few things at play here... the old CM11 just may have become flakey, and it's reception of line noise sent it over the edge. I don't miss it.

Reply to
RF Dude

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.