a phantom signal source

A while back there was a thread here about the possibility of noisy switch mode power supplies (SMPS) spontaneously generating valid X-10 PLC codes. Bruce Robin sent a noisy SMPS (in a charger) that was blocking X-10 activity to Jeff Volp who ran some tests. AFAIK those tests failed to show any spontaneously generated X-10 codes.

There was a recent thread on Smarthome's Insteon forum that, in part, discussed phantom PLC codes being logged that went away when a CFL (with an apparently noisy SMPS) was removed from the mix. Further investigation found that the source of the apparently spontaneous codes was actually an ACT CR134 coupler/repeater. When it was replaced with a plug-in passive coupler, the phantom codes disappeared. Another factor was that the phantom codes only appeared after a valid Status Request was transmitted.

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

I did not monitor X10 line traffic while testing the Cellet cellphone charger:

formatting link
However, if you look at the 3rd photo down, you can see the ESM1 giving a solid "X10 Good" indication when the charger was loaded with 20 ohms. I was testing how well the XTB-IIR AGC rejected the noise, and I did not see it accept the signal as valid even though the ESM1 seemed to be happy with it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

The ESM1 does not do a thorough manchester check but only counts the number of 1 bits and 0 bits that follow a 1110 (presumed to be a start code). Thus

11101111111111100000000000 is >I did not monitor X10 line traffic while testing the Cellet cellphone >charger:

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.