66 block or jack adapters?

I only have one phone line and nine phone jacks throughout the house in a star configuration. What are the pros and cons of using a splitter vs. a 66-block? After reading this group for a while I'm still not clear on the pros of using a 66-block.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard_Guse
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the quick responses! Sounds like I need to go this direction. Is there any reason not to upgrade to a 110-block? They look cleaner (wires run underneath) and easier to access.

Thanks!

Reply to
Richard_Guse

To add to what Bruce mentioned, I had 2 lines coming in to a series of 66 blocks, with 18 jacks throughout the house, all home run to the central control panel ( a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the basement).

I decided to keep one "conventional" line for the alarm and switch the other line to VoIP. Because everything was set up on 66 blocks, the entire change-over from 2 telco lines to one telco line and one VoIP line involved very little fuss and only a few wiring changes.

Reply to
Armond Perretta

I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but ...

I used the 110 blocks for the 10/100 Ethernet network, and frankly I found them a little more awkward to work with. Most tools are equipped to work with either board, but it seems that most telco applications stick to 66 blocks. If someone from the phone company ever has to work on your setup (goodness forbid), at least they won't feel lost.

Reply to
Armond Perretta

If you use the common "split 66" block you can terminate all the station cables down one side of the block and then daisy chain the CO lines down the other side. Connection is made using bridging clips to connect one side to the other. This makes for MUCH easier troubleshooting and a very tidy installation.

From:Richard snipped-for-privacy@bose.com Richard snipped-for-privacy@bose.com

Reply to
BruceR

Something else to consider...I built a plywood board with 20 mounted RJ11 wall jacks on it which are wired to a Panasonic KSU and/or 2 COs. From there I just plug in the modular plugs to each location as needed. Makes it pretty easy to add DSL filters and change routing plus it was inexpensive.

Reply to
JW

You can run wires underneath the 66 blocks too by mounting them on an

89B mounting block (very inexpensive). The advantage to 66 blocks is that you can use bridging clips. I use 110 for ethernet and all my homerun station cabling but then run a jumper to the 66 block to pick up the phone lines. See my installation at:
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@bose.com Richard snipped-for-privacy@bose.com

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.