ZoneAlarm shuts down my DSL connection

Your item #3 was pretty eyeopening. The more articles I read, the more paranoid I get. #1 was also good. Once compromised, there's no way out except to reformat.

I guess one really big benefit of AlphaShield is that the connection is physically cut off anytime I'm not online, so that malware can't run autoclickers or wwwsh and successfully access the internet.

Of course that doesn't prevent it from working while I'm connected. I guess you just have to be careful and realize despite that, you still may get whacked.

Reply to
jdarylh1
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

You can get it at Best Buy.

Reply to
jdarylh1

When I first went to win2k I got hit with a sober and something else, and successfully used dedicated remover tools to get rid if them, one from symantec, the other from mccaffee. Of course the jerks are always looking for ways to defeat such tools, but if you careful and thorough there are some problems that you can survive without a paving job. But when in doubt, rip it out, fdisk and start over. This is another good reason for running your OS on one HD and all your programs on another, to reduce the work of such recovery.

Reply to
Quaestor

Haven't heard of that before. Great idea. So the likelihood of getting something bad in your programs is nearly zero?

Reply to
jdarylh1

This shows, that you're using insecure tools, first your MUA, which is catastrophic (Outlook), second removal tools, which cannot fulfil their job.

Sober variants like W32/Sober-Z are loading code from the internet and executing this code. So a secure removal of all malware which was installed is not possible any more.

Very likely your box is still 0wned.

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Yes. And it's the _only_ possibility to remove worms safely, which load code from the Internet.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

This has nothing to do with it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

No idea if you can put a number on it, but it clearly improves the picture since many invasive programs are not aimed at multiple HD, and nowdays are almost all about setting up spam zombies, so they want primarily to spread from machine to machine quietly.

Another good trick is to put your OS on one partition (with nothing else there), and the swapfile on another where it is the only thing there. That way those should never become seriously fragmented, so you keep all that speed you are paying for, reduce defrag times, and scan times for maleware and disk problems.

Reply to
Quaestor

Bullshit! The XP firewall is transparent to the user.

Reply to
Sean Cousins

The real bullshit is that it is transparent to the attackers.

Reply to
Quaestor

Perhaps then when I turned the firewall off and the windows immediately stopped popping up, something else produced that result.

Reply to
jdarylh1

Thanks, Volker. :)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

There is a M$ Hotfix available to correct the problem. Look for KB 831385 / Hotfix

John

Reply to
John Gawe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.