open firewall via web interface authentication

I'm looking for open source software for linux, running on a firewall, where I can authenticate via a web interface with username/password to enable access for my current ip for a certain time (like one hour or so).

Reply to
entity
Loading thread data ...

Hm... what's wrong with PERL?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Hi Volker,

nothing wrong with PERL, but as it is quite difficult to write safe software, I'm looking for a complete software package providing a web interface, something like the CheckPoint-Firewall provides, where you have to authenticate via a webpage to activate your account before you can access the firewall (with a idle timeout).

Thanks Markus

Reply to
entity

Am Sun, 01 Jan 2006 03:26:40 -0800 schrieb entity:

You need an application level gateway (proxy) for this cause Packet-filtering rules are usually not manipulated by user interaction. And you probably need one that supports a lot of protocols. For a few protocols like http and ftp squid offers what you want but squid does not support nntp, smtp ...

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

PERL doesn't exist.

from

Reply to
John Mason Jr

Sounds like some form of hotspot or captive portal. Google would be your friend here, to really get good advice more complete specs of your goal might help to get better answers.

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

^^^

From man perl:

| perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language

Yes, yes, this is a backronym, of course ;-) So: just spell it like you want to. I don't care at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I suggest checking out (Linux) Smoothwall. You will need a spare PC for this as the install completely removes everything from the HD of the PC and the PC then becomes a dedicated Firewall, Webproxy, Content filter etc etc. Have been using it for a year or so and have even become interested in Linux:-)) You will also need to fit an extra NIC - unless using a modem.

Regards

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff D

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.