ZA does not recognise my AVG

What does this teach you?

Guess. You're almost there.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards
Loading thread data ...

Having Zone Alarm free 6.1.737.0 on XPsp2, and AVG Antivirus free edition.

On the Antivirus Monitoring page/ tab, Monitoring is on.

But, below that, ZA says that "there is no antivirus running on your computer that Zone Labs can detect. Make sure you are running it."

There is no way defined there how to make my AVG identified by ZA. There is a link promising to teach me more about it, and that takes me to ZA site asking me to buy ZA antivirus.

So, is it a marketting gimick trying to shock me, or am I really at some risk because my AVG is not running to the satisfaction of ZA?

Thanks.

Reply to
V S Rawat

Ridiculous from which point of view? Probably not from the ZA marketing point of view.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

But, it is really ridiculous if ZA refuses to recognise any AV other than its own, and causing people to panic that their AV might not be effective.

At least, they should have given some method to force them to recognize the AV that "I think" I am running by browing to the folder of AVG.

Reply to
V S Rawat

Not a big deal. All that ZA does by monitoring an AV program is ensure that its AV definitions are up-to-date. As long as your AVG is updated regularly (automatically or by your routine running of a manual update service), both your AV and firewall are fine.

Craig (whose Norton AV *is* recognized by my ZA Pro)

Reply to
Craig

This 'AV Monitoring' crap in ZA products is just pure bullshit, not to mention yet another source of bloat in the program. It is totally unnecessary and useless. The only reason I can see for it being there is to somehow trick some users into buying the ZA Suite with the AV built-in. Just turn it off and forget that you ever saw it.. Your AV is working fine.

Reply to
Kerodo

ZA does recognize several of the AV biggies, but not yet AVG a many others, but if you have XPsp2, all the monitoring that ZA would do is already being done by Windows. Check in Security Center

Ma

Reply to
Ma No

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.